The Student Room Group

Should I message this girl I like, and how?

This is a strange one because we didn't really have too much interaction with each other.

In my media class at school, when I was in Year 13 we had to make a video for that year's school fashion show. The fashion students had to design and create their own piece of clothing which would be modelled and showcased at the fashion show, and we'd make their VT at the end from what we'd filmed, to be shown before their design was modelled at the show. We were all individually assigned to a student in the Year 12 fashion class to film and follow their progress throughout the term. I was assigned to this girl who I had never met before and shortly after, we went over to their class for our first filming session, which was interviewing our student on their design and concept.

I met the girl and recorded the interview but this first session felt awkward. I was rather shy about meeting her and likewise she seemed shy around me as well. It didn't help that I happened to find her quite attractive and started fancying her as the weeks went by. I added her on Facebook soon after and she accepted my friend request.

I felt gradually more confident as time went by as I got used to being around her and everyone else but we never actually talked that much outside of the task and she continued to be a little awkward, like she was still shy around me. We sometimes emailed on our school addresses but that was only to do with the task and preparations. She was also quite awkward whenever she was being filmed on my camera like she wasn't very photogenic (though she posts a lot of selfies on Instagram). There were some occasions where I would come round to film with the rest of my class but, as she hadn't been able to do much in the time, she would have to tell me "I've literally got nothing for you to film" in an apologetic way.

I mentioned her shyness towards me to one of my other media classmates and he joked that she fancied me. I also seem to remember that some of her fashion classmates joked about her fancying me as well on one occasion.

Our last task together was another interview reflecting on the final dress. After that, it was the fashion show itself which the whole class worked together to film, though I hardly saw her at all on the night.

As we hadn't really spoken very much over the module, I sent her a message on Facebook afterward, just saying: "Hi Chloe. I just wanted to wish you luck for Year 13 and whatever you pursue afterwards, and well done on your dress design as well! I enjoyed working with you for the media project (I hope you liked the final video, by the way). I know I may have come across as a bit cut off or grumpy sometimes and perhaps not the most talkative person either, but I'm just like that in some situations. Thank you for cooperating and communicating well with me throughout the unit, as that really helped to get things organised, and all the best for the future!"

She responded: "Awh thank you rob! Good luck to you too, I haven't actually seen the video properly yet but I'm sure it's going to be good:smile: but thank you again!"

I followed her on Instagram but she didn't follow me back and likewise, more recently, added her on Snapchat but she didn't add me back (though she did randomly start following me on QuizUp one time).

As I'd always been too shy to speak to her properly, I'd wanted to message her about meeting up but felt too awkward about it, seeing as we'd not spoken very much. Then she got a boyfriend while I was at uni, so I just put it behind me and carried on.

I didn't think much more of it until recently she broke up with her boyfriend and is now single again. I feel like I now want to message her and see what happens, like getting to know each other better, possibly meeting up and so forth. It came across to me like we'd get on really well if we just got to know each other better. The only problem is that it's been nearly four years since the fashion task and we haven't spoken since so I don't know how that would look to her. I've tried to engage some interest by occasionally liking the odd photo that she posts but other than that, I haven't done anything.

But if it's worth giving it a go, what should I say and how? Thanks for your help guys!
Reply 1
Do you ever see her? If so might be better just to say hi and ask her if she fancies going for a coffee/drink to reminisce about the fashion show days. If you don't see her, not much to lose by seeing if she replies to a friendly message and then cut to the chase and ask her out. Seems best to clear up if there is anything down for you here.
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
Do you ever see her? If so might be better just to say hi and ask her if she fancies going for a coffee/drink to reminisce about the fashion show days. If you don't see her, not much to lose by seeing if she replies to a friendly message and then cut to the chase and ask her out. Seems best to clear up if there is anything down for you here.

Thanks for your input. No, I've not seen her at all since the fashion show and I certainly don't see her around anywhere, but she does live locally still. Therefore, messaging would be the only way of reaching out to her. Any ideas for how I could start a conversation with her after all this time? I'm honestly rubbish with this and appreciate any advice!
This is adorable! Excuse my fangirling :lol:

For starting a conversation, go with the generic "Hey, how have you been?" or bring up random funny moments you remember from the fashion show. You will be fine :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending