The Student Room Group

Why do people say btecs are easy when you have a shitload of coursework to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I’m worried about you and your false assertions. You honestly have no idea what you’re talking about

you know i give up i actually cant be bothered anymore....byee
Usually, people who do 3+ A Levels do not do a BTEC. However, many people who do a BTEC also do an A Level. Surely this means that those who do both are the only ones qualified to accurately judge the difficulty of them both? I personally do 3 A Levels and while I have made jokes about BTECs being easy in the past, it was banter rather than a genuine belief I hold because I am not qualified to speak on it!! From the look of what people have said in the thread so far though, it is a very individual thing.
I did a BTEC in biomedical science then a degree in biomedical sciences. I’m now doing a PGCE and I teach up to A level. I find the A level stuff insultingly easy. BTEC is very much focused on a career area and provides direct application of knowledge, whereas A level is generic really.
You don’t get three a levels. To get three a levels guess what... YOU HAVE TO DO THREE A LEVELS!
And this is why you’re doing BTECs and not a levels
I’ve also attended a Russel group. You really need to get out of this academic snobbery headspace.
Just had a quick look at some BSc Biomedical science degrees entry requirements, where u basically need DDD @ BTEC or B's&C's at a level to go to an ex-poly and the target top RG Unis wont even consider BTEC. If the BTEC is so career driven why are you not a world leading researcher in a top lab or a professor instead your a 11-16 teacher...
The only people who consider BTEC a more difficult qualifications are a handful of deluded people who themselves took BTEC highlighting their bias
Russell*. Also, I chose education because I’m passionate about teaching science. I’m confident enough to know that with a first class honours degree I could do what I want. You should be ashamed of your attitude towards people. I suspect you won’t get very far in your career with those views.
I’ve also attended a Russel group. You really need to get out of this academic snobbery headspace.
As someone who does 3 A levels and is now watching her friends who do BTECs relax with minimal exams during this exam season, I can definitely see how A levels are seen as harder than BTECs. Those of my friends who take BTECs have admitted that they are much easier than their A levels in terms of work and difficulty. HOWEVER, I have watched my friends (taking BTEC performing arts) put SO many hours of their time into their work, just to get a good grade. They've been stressed to the point of tears over shows, and staying up till the early hours to finish coursework.

So do I think BTECs are easier than A levels? Yes and no. Yes in that the exam period for A levels is much worse, and that the exams are certainly of greater difficulty than BTEC work, but no because I've seen just how much work my friends put in and just how much they've struggled with their courses. Of course we all still have banter about it (I feel like every sixth form has the saying "omg that's so BTEC" lol), but realistically we respect the work the BTEC people put in. The difference between A levels and BTEC is what you want to do afterwards - BTECs are more designed for giving real world experience and preparing for industry (for example I did BTEC dance at GCSE and it taught us how to audition for companies etc) whereas A levels are more designed for further study.

I think the best way to sum it up is "the grass is always greener"... while BTEC people are deep in coursework it seems like a nightmare, but now it's exam season it seems like they've got it 'easy'.
To clarify/TLDR - they are both as bad in different ways.
As someone who does 3 A levels and is now watching her friends who do BTECs relax with minimal exams during this exam season, I can definitely see how A levels are seen as harder than BTECs. Those of my friends who take BTECs have admitted that they are much easier than their A levels in terms of work and difficulty. HOWEVER, I have watched my friends (taking BTEC performing arts) put SO many hours of their time into their work, just to get a good grade. They've been stressed to the point of tears over shows, and staying up till the early hours to finish coursework.

So do I think BTECs are easier than A levels? Yes and no. Yes in that the exam period for A levels is much worse, and that the exams are certainly of greater difficulty than BTEC work, but no because I've seen just how much work my friends put in and just how much they've struggled with their courses. Of course we all still have banter about it (I feel like every sixth form has the saying "omg that's so BTEC" lol), but realistically we respect the work the BTEC people put in. The difference between A levels and BTEC is what you want to do afterwards - BTECs are more designed for giving real world experience and preparing for industry (for example I did BTEC dance at GCSE and it taught us how to audition for companies etc) whereas A levels are more designed for further study.

I think the best way to sum it up is "the grass is always greener"... while BTEC people are deep in coursework it seems like a nightmare, but now it's exam season it seems like they've got it 'easy'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending