The Student Room Group

Brexit voting week: 'Extension to Article 50' vote passes 412-202

Scroll to see replies

The problem we have now is we will almost certainly we will have an extension of A50. This means we will get screwed by the EU, with heavy fines and longer extensions of A50.

We are now telling businesses we have no idea what's going to happen for longer and we are far more likely to get even more I certain in the future.

I personally think unless we leave no deal 29th we are going to accelerate the damage we are likely to suffer.
Original post by MrDystopia
May’s deal appears to be dead for good. So we move to a vote tomorrow on No Deal, and a vote on Thursday regarding extending Article 50.

Maybe, but what will replace it. Who is going to renegotiate the deal all over again? I would say no deal was more likely than that.
Speaker allowing amendments to be filed for tomorrow, which could be highly significant - an amendment could for example be attached demanding a 2nd referendum and a longer extension to A50 to allow it.
Has anyone actually asked the EU if they will allow an extension?
Farcical situation.

I hope plenty of photos are taken of the led by donkeys billboards. They need to be in the history books to accurately portray the mess Brexit supporters and the Conservative party have created.
Uh oh, it's getting ****ING EXCITING.
Original post by Notoriety
Uh oh, it's getting ****ING EXCITING.

Well tomorrow and the day after will be pretty boring. Most likely the House will block no-deal tomorrow and then seek an extension to A50 on Thursday. After that point will be funny.
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Farcical situation.

I hope plenty of photos are taken of the led by donkeys billboards. They need to be in the history books to accurately portray the mess Brexit supporters and the Conservative party have created.

The mess the Conservative party and the majority of MPs in the house of commons have created.
Original post by Burton Bridge
The mess the Conservative party and the majority of MPs in the house of commons have created.

MPs form other parties have had no role in negotiating this terrible Brexit deal.

They are in fact doing their job by voting against bad government proposals.
Original post by Decahedron

Judging from the skill and execution of the process so far, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Most commentators say the EU won't accept a lengthening unless for a second referendum, so the tactical vote against tonight by ERG-DUP may have been done with the informed guess that the EU will reject a casual A50 extension request and therefore they have tonight secured a hard crash out.

We can expect panic buying in the shops in a week or so if it becomes clear that a pointless extension is rejected.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Judging from the skill and execution of the process so far, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Most commentators say the EU won't accept a lengthening unless for a second referendum, so the tactical vote against tonight by ERG-DUP may have been done with the informed guess that the EU will reject a casual A50 extension request and therefore they have tonight secured a hard crash out.

We can expect panic buying in the shops in a week or so if it becomes clear that a pointless extension is rejected.

Yeah, you need unanimity for an extension according to Art 50. So one bad egg and we're done for.

Unless we get the revocation in quick ...
If only there was some sort of way all of this could have been avoided :flute:
Parliament has now moved on to the regulation of beauticians, barbers and hairdressers.

It's good to see Brexit in perspective.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
If only there was some sort of way all of this could have been avoided :flute:

When people start to see they can't get food in the shops in a couple of weeks, I wonder how popular the Tories will be?
So in 3 months the deal only gained 40 backers. Does Theresa really think she can hold out for another 6 months in the hope that she'll win over enough MP's ?
just leave with no deal

Do people really think British citizens in the EU are going to be rounded up at gunpoint and deported ?
Reply 96
what sort of impact will no deal have?
Original post by Nalk1573
just leave with no deal

Do people really think British citizens in the EU are going to be rounded up at gunpoint and deported ?

The rights of British citizens in the EU is just one of hundreds of things to consider if we flipped the switch tomorrow and were no longer tied to the EU in any way.
Original post by Decahedron

The EU's statements seem to be along the lines of: we've done everything we can, the UK needs to get it's **** together, come up with a clear and obvious plan, at which point we will be open to extending A50 to implement that.

The problem is the UK still doesn't even have a vague plan, let alone one that can be nailed down in 36 hours. If parliament votes to extend A50 I really can't see anyway that the UK will agree to this.
Honestly at this point my faith in not just may but the whole of our government system is at rock bottom, I would much rather we bring back the monarchy in full or at least get rid of this broken and diseased system called democracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending