The Student Room Group

Regretting my A Level choices

Hello all,
Things are feeling pretty bleak right now and I guess I just need to get it out of my system.
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Stupidly, I thought that picking these A levels was a smart decision, keeping my options open since I didn't know what I wanted to do. In reality, I have no interest in pursuing these subjects further and going through my mocks this week has made me realise that I have no motivation to study these subjects I find no enjoyment in. I regret not picking subjects I am more passionate about in just to pick the 'best' options and I don't know if I can keep up any form of motivation going in to A2, even if I can achieve mediocre grades at AS. I have no idea if I even have any other option at this point.
Sorry for the long rant, but I've been keeping this bottled up for a while and had to get it out.
Original post by MxAdnani
Hello all,
Things are feeling pretty bleak right now and I guess I just need to get it out of my system.
I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Stupidly, I thought that picking these A levels was a smart decision, keeping my options open since I didn't know what I wanted to do. In reality, I have no interest in pursuing these subjects further and going through my mocks this week has made me realise that I have no motivation to study these subjects I find no enjoyment in. I regret not picking subjects I am more passionate about in just to pick the 'best' options and I don't know if I can keep up any form of motivation going in to A2, even if I can achieve mediocre grades at AS. I have no idea if I even have any other option at this point.
Sorry for the long rant, but I've been keeping this bottled up for a while and had to get it out.

How are the exams going?
What is it you want to do for a degree?
What career would interest you?

The answer is pretty straightforward imo. If you are heading for doom and misery, then talk to parents and school, then just redo year 12 and subjects you want. problem solved. It is that easy.
Original post by 999tigger
How are the exams going?
What is it you want to do for a degree?
What career would interest you?

The answer is pretty straightforward imo. If you are heading for doom and misery, then talk to parents and school, then just redo year 12 and subjects you want. problem solved. It is that easy.

Problem is I don't think my parents would be understanding enough to allow me to make that decision unfortunately.
In terms of grades I'm on 4B's at the moment but these fluctuate based on my mood or the effort I force myself to put in. Career wise I would probably go down a more arts-based route if I had the option. At this rate I'm probably going to end up studying some form of engineering or similar.
This isn’t advice but my brother chose the same (mainly bc my parents were pushing him towards engineering) and got ACEE (A in maths) in the last mocks - his phone contract has been cancelled and his bank card has been taken from him.
Original post by jadarose
This isn’t advice but my brother chose the same (mainly bc my parents were pushing him towards engineering) and got ACEE (A in maths) in the last mocks - his phone contract has been cancelled and his bank card has been taken from him.

Ouch I feel for him haha. Am currently 'grounded' until results day after I flopped the christmas mocks a few months back :')
Original post by MxAdnani
Problem is I don't think my parents would be understanding enough to allow me to make that decision unfortunately.
In terms of grades I'm on 4B's at the moment but these fluctuate based on my mood or the effort I force myself to put in. Career wise I would probably go down a more arts-based route if I had the option. At this rate I'm probably going to end up studying some form of engineering or similar.

You are trapping yourself in misery. If you are on 4Bs you can improve.
What do you actually want to do? Degree and career?

Lol what did your parents expect.

don't wanna start beef but i'll never understand parents that do stuff like this. it's the effort you put in that counts, not the grades - acc to my parents anyway:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest