The Student Room Group

Is it rude to decline someone's offer to buy your drink?

I'm meeting with an old school teacher next week. They always insist on paying for my coffee when we meet, but I feel quite uneasy about that.

If he insists again next week, would I be okay to just firmly (but politely) state something like 'no thanks, i'll get my own please'.?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm meeting with an old school teacher next week. They always insist on paying for my coffee when we meet, but I feel quite uneasy about that.

If he insists again next week, would I be okay to just firmly (but politely) state something like 'no thanks, i'll get my own please'.?

Hi there,

Yeah that’s fine! If you want to get your own go for it! It’s saving them money so I’m sure they don’t mind too much! They are doing it out of kindness and generosity!

Joe
No it isn't rude to decline someone buying you a drink, if you want you could always buy them a drink instead, like one time they buy the drink then the next time you buy the drink which could be another option. So just say something like 'no no you brought them last time I'll get them this time I insist' if they buy you a drink.
Just tell them you've had enough rohypnol for one night.
Original post by Anonymous

I think your response sounds a bit blunt and ungrateful imo. I would just say 'hey, you're always getting me a coffee - let me get you one' or 'Oh I think it's about time I get you a coffee this time - we can take it in turns'. Make a joke and remain lighthearted - I don't think being firm is necessary! Or if you're too chicken for this, get there 5 mins earlier and order yourself a drink first so he can't insist - be a lil bit shady! :P

Friendships (if it is a friendship) is a give and take thing. Maybe the old school teacher thinks it's a way of compensating for taking up your time or perhaps you don't have enough to get his drink as well as your own?

Some people naturally love paying for other people's drinks and stuff - esp if they're older - that's just the way they were brought up. It's just over generosity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending