The Student Room Group

Feel like my friend is just using me

I have posted on this forum in the past about how me and my friend go watching rugby together and whenever we do I always drive and I always pay for parking, he never offers to do either. And then when we are at the rugby he has about 5 pints whilst I have just the one because I am driving.

It has really started to annoy me over the last few weeks as on top of me doing all those things, he never offers to buy me a drink and when I pick him up he is never on time which I find incredibly rude. So this past week I finally decided to say something and when we went to a game a few days ago, he text me asking what time was I picking him up and I replied saying "well I thought you could drive for a change" his response was basically "you always drive" to which I said "yes and that's why I want a change for once" and he just replied with "but why change something we have done for years?"

What should I do as he is clearly just using me to save money on parking and petrol and then can enjoy himself and have a few drinks because he doesn't have to drive.
talk to them about changing up who drives weekly. Say you need a break and wanna save some money too.
I think the advice that you've followed from the previous thread is spot on.

His reaction shows this isn't some equitable arrangement for both of you, so you'll need to decide whether to put your foot down and insist on him driving sometimes, or just ditch him completely.

It's completely valid to respond to his last message with "I've worked out this has cost me XYZ over the last year alone and I can't afford to keep doing it".
Original post by Anonymous
I have posted on this forum in the past about how me and my friend go watching rugby together and whenever we do I always drive and I always pay for parking, he never offers to do either. And then when we are at the rugby he has about 5 pints whilst I have just the one because I am driving.

It has really started to annoy me over the last few weeks as on top of me doing all those things, he never offers to buy me a drink and when I pick him up he is never on time which I find incredibly rude. So this past week I finally decided to say something and when we went to a game a few days ago, he text me asking what time was I picking him up and I replied saying "well I thought you could drive for a change" his response was basically "you always drive" to which I said "yes and that's why I want a change for once" and he just replied with "but why change something we have done for years?"

What should I do as he is clearly just using me to save money on parking and petrol and then can enjoy himself and have a few drinks because he doesn't have to drive.

If you’re going to be direct be direct . None of this half assed rubbish. Tell him straight you would like to have more than one drink for a change . So either he drives or you both as a compromise arrange alternate means of getting to and from. If he refuses then you don’t go and tell him straight that you find his attitude on this matter appalling and it is questioning your friendship .
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending