The Student Room Group

Denied a student bank account?

I applied for a HSBC student account the other day and I was emailed today telling me I was unsuccessful. I had applied for a HSBC student account before but they sent a letter to me AFTER I had already gone to uni (and my family forgot to tell me) so I decided to not continue with it but now I'm starting a new course at a new university I want to open one, do you think my previous application has affected my new application???

I will be going into a branch to query this when I can but I'm curious if anybody already knows what might have caused this problem?
Original post by Nicryptid
I applied for a HSBC student account the other day and I was emailed today telling me I was unsuccessful. I had applied for a HSBC student account before but they sent a letter to me AFTER I had already gone to uni (and my family forgot to tell me) so I decided to not continue with it but now I'm starting a new course at a new university I want to open one, do you think my previous application has affected my new application???

I will be going into a branch to query this when I can but I'm curious if anybody already knows what might have caused this problem?

My son got denied a student account too and we were a bit taken aback as he has never been in debt so we wondered how he could have a poor credit rating. The woman in Santander said he probably has no credit rating since he has never had a credit card or even a phone contract in his name. He already had a normal bank account so he just stuck with that when he went to uni but missed out on the free young person's railcard that you get with a student account (and the free overdraft facility) :frown:
Original post by harrysbar
My son got denied a student account too and we were a bit taken aback as he has never been in debt so we wondered how he could have a poor credit rating. The woman in Santander said he probably has no credit rating since he has never had a credit card or even a phone contract in his name. He already had a normal bank account so he just stuck with that when he went to uni but missed out on the free young person's railcard that you get with a student account (and the free overdraft facility) :frown:

Oh no, i guess that will be an issue for me too as i dont have a credit rating :s-smilie:
Reply 3

That's so infuriating! Firstly what 18 year olds even have a credit score? And it's a student account so students should be eligible regardless of their credit?

I am a 'mature' student at 24 and I've never had a credit card and actually didn't plan on getting one until I was in stable employment but now I'm thinking I should get one.

My main issue is that my first rent installment is due BEFORE I get my loan so I was hoping the overdraft would see me through until my loan gets paid 🙄
That's why I went into the bank to do it.
Doing it online seemed more complex and seemed easier to be rejected
It was easier in the bank
Did you apply for a credit card? If you did that may have been why you got rejected?
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Oh no, i guess that will be an issue for me too as i dont have a credit rating :s-smilie:

I don't know... maybe Santander are particularly fussy, surely most students don't have a credit rating. She actually suggested he open a credit card before reapplying for a student bank account but that seemed a bit daft to us.

My daughter got a student bank account with Natwest with no problem so I think it might just be that some banks are fussier than others :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
That's why I went into the bank to do it.
Doing it online seemed more complex and seemed easier to be rejected
It was easier in the bank
Did you apply for a credit card? If you did that may have been why you got rejected?

I opted out of the credit card :/
I'll attempt to get it sorted at a branch when I can get to one, it may be an issue with something I put on the application or as I said, my previous application.
I'll attempt to get it sorted at a branch when I can get to one, it may be an issue with something I put on the application or as I said, my previous application.

Yeah, that's why I opted to do it in store. When it came to filling in income I was a bit of a mess as to where everything would go- I knew I would have enough money to survive but didn't want me messing up a form to stop me from getting account so instore made more sense

We went into a branch to arrange it so it was a bit embarrassing when he got declined. I think he might have answered a question wrong - he didn't mention that we were helping him out with his rent so it might have looked like his loan wouldn't cover his outgoings. The woman wouldn't give any advice about anything, she just typed in all his information and then sounded like the woman in Little Britain "Computer Says No." :biggrin:

Everyone's situation is different, just make sure that you mention every source of income you will receive and hopefully you will be ok.
Reply 9
We went into a branch to arrange it so it was a bit embarrassing when he got declined. I think he might have answered a question wrong - he didn't mention that we were helping him out with his rent so it might have looked like his loan wouldn't cover his outgoings. The woman wouldn't give any advice about anything, she just typed in all his information and then sounded like the woman in Little Britain "Computer Says No." :biggrin:

Everyone's situation is different, just make sure that you mention every source of income you will receive and hopefully you will be ok.

Ahh hopefully I won't get denied in person! I'll definitely be sure to get everything right, it's possible my application had some wrong information? It's difficult to predict my income when I'm between jobs constantly 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending