The Student Room Group

Is Geography looked down upon at Cambridge

I'm a student, currently in lower sixth, looking to study either Geography or Economics, hopefully at Cambridge. I was previously set on doing Geography but I have been repeatedly told that Geography is looked down upon as either an easier course or as a course that people choose because they don't know what they want to study. It is certainly true that I find the breadth of the Geography course appealing, so I'm almost inclined to believe the idea that Geography is for people who lack commitment and that by choosing Geography I am taking an easier and perhaps less rewarding route than if I were to choose a more detailed subject like Economics. I definitely find Economics more challenging than Geography but if it is indeed the better subject, I would like to opt for the challenge.Thanks, I hope to get some informative responses.
Reply 1
Do the course you’re passionate about and have a genuine interest in - don’t do one purely based on reputation and what others thing about it as you’re less likely to do well.

No course at Cambridge is looked down upon as you’re at one of the most academic universities in the world that is incredibly difficult to get into.

Geography is a traditional, academic subject so I have no clue why you think it would be looked down upon. If you want to do geography, do it. Don’t do economics just because you think it’s viewed as more prestigious.
Yeah if you're a Cambridge no one will look down on you for subject choice. In fact, having people with a range of interests is super cool and beneficial to the university! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I find Geog absolutely fantastic - it is really broad, taking from all sorts of social sciences as well as being able to be sciencey as well if you fancy! The great thing about Cambridge Geog is that there is no separate course for physical or human, meaning that in your last two years you can choose whichever options you find most interesting.

In terms of being 'looked down on', to be honest that is completely rubbish. Geography is challenging if you want to do well, it just requires more time spent doing your own work - so people think we have less work to do than Econ because we spend less time in lectures for example. In reality people just love to make fun for the sake of it - it isn't actually looked down upon.
Original post by username4596816
I'm a student, currently in lower sixth, looking to study either Geography or Economics, hopefully at Cambridge. I was previously set on doing Geography but I have been repeatedly told that Geography is looked down upon as either an easier course or as a course that people choose because they don't know what they want to study. It is certainly true that I find the breadth of the Geography course appealing, so I'm almost inclined to believe the idea that Geography is for people who lack commitment and that by choosing Geography I am taking an easier and perhaps less rewarding route than if I were to choose a more detailed subject like Economics. I definitely find Economics more challenging than Geography but if it is indeed the better subject, I would like to opt for the challenge.Thanks, I hope to get some informative responses.
Do want you want, who cares what people think. If you live your live and choose your degree based on what others think of you and it then it's not really a life worth living.
Reply 5
Original post by username4596816

No

/endthread.
Geography's looked down upon everywhere hehe

/end sarcasm

Do what you enjoy more. No course at Cambridge is easy and nobody will *seriously* mock you for studying anything there (you'll get some light-hearted ribbing, but generally the folks who dish this out all do NatSci and are insecure about that)

Go for it! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending