The Student Room Group

DSA Evidence?

Hi all,

I have applied for DSA as it was recommended by both my previous college counsellor and the Well-being stall at my chosen uni's open day, but I'm not sure what exactly I need in my evidence. For example, I know they need to provide a recommendation, but I don't know what I need to ask them to include.

I have congenital hypothyroidism which I wouldn't consider a disability and more of a condition, but it does affect my daily life which is the main thing with DSA I've read. I get fatigued a lot and my joints and muscles are often aching, and my concentration and memory are abysmal to say the least.

On top of that, it also affects my mental health as I've had depression for probably the last 5/6 years to the point of at one point attempting to end it. I went to therapy for it though and it has improved to the point I no longer have issues with self harm and suicidal thoughts, but I still have severe issues with motivation, sometimes not even moving from my bed. I'm falling behind at college at the moment as it's gotten worse again. Only problem is as I'm not in therapy anymore I don't know if student finance will accept transcripts that are a year old if they need that as part of the evidence?

What exactly do I need from my doctor and what do I need to include on top of this to support it?
Hey,
You will need a diagnosis letter and/ or a letter from a medical professional stating how the conditions effect you. I believe it has to be no earlier than your 16th birthday.
Original post by Brittney.s1
Hey,
You will need a diagnosis letter and/ or a letter from a medical professional stating how the conditions effect you. I believe it has to be no earlier than your 16th birthday.

they've gotten rid of the 16th birthday requirement which used to apply to learning difficulties but medical conditions i believe they want something fairly recent :smile:
Original post by KFLUX
Hi all,

I have applied for DSA as it was recommended by both my previous college counsellor and the Well-being stall at my chosen uni's open day, but I'm not sure what exactly I need in my evidence. For example, I know they need to provide a recommendation, but I don't know what I need to ask them to include.

I have congenital hypothyroidism which I wouldn't consider a disability and more of a condition, but it does affect my daily life which is the main thing with DSA I've read. I get fatigued a lot and my joints and muscles are often aching, and my concentration and memory are abysmal to say the least.

On top of that, it also affects my mental health as I've had depression for probably the last 5/6 years to the point of at one point attempting to end it. I went to therapy for it though and it has improved to the point but I still have severe issues with motivation, sometimes not even moving from my bed. I'm falling behind at college at the moment as it's gotten worse again. Only problem is as I'm not in therapy anymore I don't know if student finance will accept transcripts that are a year old if they need that as part of the evidence?

What exactly do I need from my doctor and what do I need to include on top of this to support it?

You can get a gp to write you a letter or theres a form they can fill in http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1920/ft/sfe_dsa_disability_evidence_form_1920_o.pdf
Yes with DSA it's how it affects your ablity to study, not specifically what your condition is.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
they've gotten rid of the 16th birthday requirement which used to apply to learning difficulties but medical conditions i believe they want something fairly recent :smile:

You can get a gp to write you a letter or theres a form they can fill in http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1920/ft/sfe_dsa_disability_evidence_form_1920_o.pdf
Yes with DSA it's how it affects your ablity to study, not specifically what your condition is.

Well I've had hypothyroidism since birth and will have that for life, plus turn 22 in the first week of uni so I don't know where that puts me?

(Apologies for the late reply, completely forgot I posted this, tip of the iceberg on the memory front. I forget literally everything, even my meds quite a lot which makes things worse, go me)

My doctors want me to put in writing what I need from them so should I give them that form with written instructions on what to include i.e. what my symptoms are and whatnot?
Original post by KFLUX
Well I've had hypothyroidism since birth and will have that for life, plus turn 22 in the first week of uni so I don't know where that puts me?

(Apologies for the late reply, completely forgot I posted this, tip of the iceberg on the memory front. I forget literally everything, even my meds quite a lot which makes things worse, go me)

My doctors want me to put in writing what I need from them so should I give them that form with written instructions on what to include i.e. what my symptoms are and whatnot?

Yes give them that form and tell them what that you d like your symptoms like memory problems and any other things that ll affect your ability to study.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you so much, I'm writing them a letter now

They literally let me go through the process of booking and attending an appointment purely to tell me that I needed to talk to reception.. who I'd booked the appointment through in the first place :| And then told me I needed to write them a letter before I did anything. I just wasted two weeks waiting for an appointment I didn't need in order to get something that could have been done and sent in that timeframe.

So I'm gonna give them everything I have myself (therapy transcripts, just in case they are relevant) and include the sending envelope inside so all they have to do is write the letter, fill in the form and mail it. Do you reckon that's alright?
Original post by KFLUX
Thank you so much, I'm writing them a letter now

They literally let me go through the process of booking and attending an appointment purely to tell me that I needed to talk to reception.. who I'd booked the appointment through in the first place :| And then told me I needed to write them a letter before I did anything. I just wasted two weeks waiting for an appointment I didn't need in order to get something that could have been done and sent in that timeframe.

So I'm gonna give them everything I have myself (therapy transcripts, just in case they are relevant) and include the sending envelope inside so all they have to do is write the letter, fill in the form and mail it. Do you reckon that's alright?

Yes that should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending