The Student Room Group

Bringing a dog to Uni

I am planning on starting Uni in 2020 and am looking forward to starting the course, but I own a medium sized dog and wondering if anyone has advice on finding accommodation and if they know anything or anyone who has brought a pet to Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebrown155
I am planning on starting Uni in 2020 and am looking forward to starting the course, but I own a medium sized dog and wondering if anyone has advice on finding accommodation and if they know anything or anyone who has brought a pet to Uni?

You won’t be able to look after a dog properly at uni. It’s best to leave them at home where they’ll be properly looked after
Reply 2
Thanks, however, this dog helps with my anxiety and I don't think I would cope leaving her at home. People raise babies while doing a course, so I think keeping a dog wouldn't be a bad thing
Original post by super_kawaii
You won’t be able to look after a dog properly at uni. It’s best to leave them at home where they’ll be properly looked after

You would have to find private accomodation since the uni private accomodation does not accept animals. Look into flats to rent that accept animals in your area, don’t look for uni private and public accomodation since they won’t accept it
secretly bring it
Thanks, however, this dog helps with my anxiety and I don't think I would cope leaving her at home. People raise babies while doing a course, so I think keeping a dog wouldn't be a bad thing

You can't take a dog into university accommodation, and it wouldn't be fair on the dog to do so anyway. It's also extremely unlikely that you'd find private rented accommodation which would accept a student plus a pet. Essentially, what you're suggesting isn't possible.
Floof

Leave dog at home. Uni it is a time for you to develop and grow, no need to focus on a dog.
Literally nowhere is going to allow that unless it is a service animal
Reply 9
Oddly enough, we got an email a couple of weeks ago reminding us that we aren't allowed to take our mutts into the buildings on campus. Shame, I think my two would enjoy a lecture on Lockean property rights.
As someone else said it won't happen. You can't rent a student place with a dog as they never allow pets and it would be cruel to a dog to have it in such a small + noisy environment. As a student you'll struggle to find anywhere which will allow you + a dog privately. Plus do you have any plan for when you're at lectures and stuff? He'll be at home alone all day, again very unfair on the dog.
You might be able to find lodgings/family hosting that would allow a dog but it would take a lot of research.

It might be worth planning in a gap year to give you more time to arrange somewhere suitable to live - and also to save up. A dog is very expensive and will impact your ability to work in your non study time so making sure you have savings is a good idea.

It’s not impossible but it will make your time at university a lot more complicated. Have you thought about studying locally so that you can stay at home if you can’t imagine leaving without your dog?

It’ll be incredibly difficult to find any accommodation that will allow your dog. Don’t even think about uni or private halls-they never allow any kind of animal!

You will also have to consider where the dog will live when you’re in class (which can be constant from 9am to 5pm). Who will walk it? Feed it? Who will stop it getting stressed from all the noise that is inevitable at uni?

If you have anxiety, you need medical attention, not a dog.
is there a uni within an hour of your home that you can commute to? then you can still see your dog and go to uni
Honestly the best thing you can do for both you and your dog is to leave it at home with your family. No university halls will allow a dog unless it is a trained service dog (such as a guide dog) meaning you would end up trying to find private renting which may isolate you from the start being off campus. As well as this, you wouldn't be able to bring the dog to lectures and uni because individuals may be severely allergic or phobic so during the day you would get no benefit.

Then you have to see it from the dogs benefit. I am sure you love it very much but it would be unfair to leave it in the house all day, it probably wouldn't get enough exercise and would be pretty miserable. As well as this I doubt student loan would cover vets bills!

If it helps with anxiety, get the dog registered as an emotional support animal and then you can take it. If you don’t have the relevant documents to do this (i.e a diagnosis letter) then I’d question as to why you need to have the dog. I don’t mean to sound harsh, I’m an anxiety sufferer myself but just make sure this is a genuine application if you decide to go ahead.

But also I do agree with everyone else. It would be unfair for the dog and possibly your other tenants to have it say in accommodation. It’s just not big enough and they’ll have no room outside to use. Leave the dog with your family so they can properly look after him whilst you’re away studying and who knows, you might actually learn to cope better with your anxieties if you’re in the position where you’re forced to do it yourself. Good luck
There are loads of problems with your plan, but frankly I'd say the biggest one would be how unfair it'd be to the animal.

If you live in student accommodation, you wouldn't have enough space to house the doggo without it becoming pretty unhappy. I mean, would you like to be stuck inside a room all day (or a small flat/etc?) with nothing to do? I mean, I am, but I study all day and I'm mentally readied for that. The dog wouldn't be. The accom wouldn't accept a dog, or any pets, and there's no guarantee you'd have a quiet accommodation either. I lived outside a strip club in my student accom. Actually, four strip clubs. It was a fun time to be a student... the amount of older white males I saw drunk and hounding in the night. I was one of them! >: ) ) )

If you rent accommodation, good luck finding a place that'll take a student and a dog. As others have said, it's pretty hard to find a place that accepts pets in general any short of actually buying the flat, and the average student doesn't have whatever amount of cash it takes to buy a flat less make a deposit on the flat. If you did actually find one, who would care for the dog during the day, etc. The whole argument of leaving the creature alone all day long in a flat comes back.

You might be able to find something on Spareroom/etc for a roomshare/houseshare that might permit you to take a pet, it you're very very emphasis on very lucky. If you did, then you'd be in business, especially if the dog you have is friendly with kids, since families often rent on there and I've seen a few ads that accept pets here in Edinburgh.

Anyhow,

You could buy a flat
Or you could get lucky on Spareroom and find someone willing to have you and your pet.

Other than that, zip. Nada. If you had it registered as an emotional support animal, you'd still need a place to keep the doggo, and a tiny student flat or room wouldn't do it.
Original post by Callicious
There are loads of problems with your plan, but frankly I'd say the biggest one would be how unfair it'd be to the animal.

If you live in student accommodation, you wouldn't have enough space to house the doggo without it becoming pretty unhappy. I mean, would you like to be stuck inside a room all day (or a small flat/etc?) with nothing to do? I mean, I am, but I study all day and I'm mentally readied for that. The dog wouldn't be. The accom wouldn't accept a dog, or any pets, and there's no guarantee you'd have a quiet accommodation either. I lived outside a strip club in my student accom. Actually, four strip clubs. It was a fun time to be a student... the amount of older white males I saw drunk and hounding in the night. I was one of them! >: ) ) )

If you rent accommodation, good luck finding a place that'll take a student and a dog. As others have said, it's pretty hard to find a place that accepts pets in general any short of actually buying the flat, and the average student doesn't have whatever amount of cash it takes to buy a flat less make a deposit on the flat. If you did actually find one, who would care for the dog during the day, etc. The whole argument of leaving the creature alone all day long in a flat comes back.

You might be able to find something on Spareroom/etc for a roomshare/houseshare that might permit you to take a pet, it you're very very emphasis on very lucky. If you did, then you'd be in business, especially if the dog you have is friendly with kids, since families often rent on there and I've seen a few ads that accept pets here in Edinburgh.

Anyhow,

You could buy a flat
Or you could get lucky on Spareroom and find someone willing to have you and your pet.

Other than that, zip. Nada. If you had it registered as an emotional support animal, you'd still need a place to keep the doggo, and a tiny student flat or room wouldn't do it.

Exactly, plus there will be no garden if you are in halls so where is the dog going to go to the toilet when you are out at uni all day. Additionally bored dog = damaged room. Then there are vet bills to consider, just a general nightmare from the off.
Original post by CoolCavy
Literally nowhere is going to allow that unless it is a service animal

Yes, the service animal is the key part - I imagine most unis will limit that to visual assistance dogs, etc.

OP, there is no reason why you can't have a dog in private accommodation, but you may not want or be able to do that in Y1. You may just have to miss your dog! :console:
Depends on your course as well, and how far you can find accommodation from the uni. When I was at uni I never had more than a few hours at a time in lectures - dogs are fine to leave at home on their own for 3-4 hours. You would have to be in private accommodation though, a spare room in a shared house probably best. Especially if you can find somewhere where your housemates love dogs and would be willing to look after it sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending