The Student Room Group

A level combination?!?!

Iyaaaa just wanted to check If these A level combinations compliment each other.
English language
Psychology
English Literature
For uni, I want to go into a Journalism degree specialized in criminology or into media or productions as a degree!
Ty in advance

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that sounds like a good combo. Nothing wrong with it
Reply 2
Erm, probably. It doesn't really matter that much that they 'complement' each other. Although I think personally English lang and English lit as two separate A-levels is a bit unnecessary
Reply 3
OKOKOK, what would you suggest insteadd?
Original post by Sinnoh
Erm, probably. It doesn't really matter that much that they 'complement' each other. Although I think personally English lang and English lit as two separate A-levels is a bit unnecessary
Reply 4
Ty ty
Do you not think it is a waste doing two English's at A Level?
Original post by bluemuffin
Yeah that sounds like a good combo. Nothing wrong with it
Reply 5
You’d rather do the combined English Alevel
Ps I did one of the exams for it today
Original post by Manip01
Ty ty
Do you not think it is a waste doing two English's at A Level?

Hmm idk, I’m sure they’d go well together but then again as you were saying 2 might be too much. Which other a levels would you consider doing if not both Englishs?
they sound good for what youre thinking of doing
Reply 8
Original post by Manip01
OKOKOK, what would you suggest insteadd?

What else do you enjoy studying?
Reply 9
Hmm idk, I’m sure they’d go well together but then again as you were saying 2 might be too much. Which other a levels would you consider doing if not both Englishs?

I would probably consider something criminology diploma as I did want to go into journalism specialized in Criminology and it would just help me learn the fundamentals and logistics of crime and legal system etc
Original post by Manip01
I would probably consider something criminology diploma as I did want to go into journalism specialized in Criminology and it would just help me learn the fundamentals and logistics of crime and legal system etc

Ok fair enough, never heard of it but sounds interesting! Up to you and what you think you’d enjoy more tbh. Too many ppl take subjects which they think would “look better” etc rather than subjects they want to take and then end up dropping them because they don’t like them so that’s my main advice
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Okay thanks for the advice !!
Ok fair enough, never heard of it but sounds interesting! Up to you and what you think you’d enjoy more tbh. Too many ppl take subjects which they think would “look better” etc rather than subjects they want to take and then end up dropping them because they don’t like them so that’s my main advice
If I were you, I would do:

1. English Lit OR English Lit&Lang (combined)
2. Psychology
3. History / Philosophy / Religious Studies / Politics etc

I would honestly recommend you do a 3rd subject in a social science. Journalism writing and literature style of writing are very different and the type of research and analysis you'll hopefully learn through a social science will come in very, very handy.

I, personally, really liked History and would rate it very high. The writing skills learned within History are invaluable. Any social science would be fine though. Do the one you enjoy the most, but if you really don't want to do any of them, no point in forcing yourself.

I also prefer Lit content over Lang content but that's just me. If you like both, you may as well do the combined one. Otherwise, maybe just do Lit.
Reply 13
Thank you for the replyyyyy, I think I might do English lit, psychology, and Law or either Sociology.
Original post by Quick-use
If I were you, I would do:

1. English Lit OR English Lit&Lang (combined)
2. Psychology
3. History / Philosophy / Religious Studies / Politics etc

I would honestly recommend you do a 3rd subject in a social science. Journalism writing and literature style of writing are very different and the type of research and analysis you'll hopefully learn through a social science will come in very, very handy.

I, personally, really liked History and would rate it very high. The writing skills learned within History are invaluable. Any social science would be fine though. Do the one you enjoy the most, but if you really don't want to do any of them, no point in forcing yourself.

I also prefer Lit content over Lang content but that's just me. If you like both, you may as well do the combined one. Otherwise, maybe just do Lit.
Reply 14
Oh late reply, but how was the lang and lit exams?

Original post by fmrh
You’d rather do the combined English Alevel
Ps I did one of the exams for it today
Sociology will be super helpful for ur degree :smile: Lit, Sociology and Psychology sounds like a really good combination. History, philosophy, politics, law, or geography are pretty good subjects too. If ur good at maths , that can make ur combo look more impressive but it isn’t necessary.
Reply 16
Thanks for the reply, I get where you're coming from about the Maths but I don't like it that much at GCSE. I think I'm going to do Philosophy, Law and English literature OOORRRR I might do psychology instead of philosophy we will see.....
Original post by AmnaS4387
Sociology will be super helpful for ur degree :smile: Lit, Sociology and Psychology sounds like a really good combination. History, philosophy, politics, law, or geography are pretty good subjects too. If ur good at maths , that can make ur combo look more impressive but it isn’t necessary.
Original post by Manip01
Thanks for the reply, I get where you're coming from about the Maths but I don't like it that much at GCSE. I think I'm going to do Philosophy, Law and English literature OOORRRR I might do psychology instead of philosophy we will see.....

Those sound like excellent subjects! Any combination would be great.

Does History interest you at all? You could consider that as well. :fluffy:
maybe government and politics or history instead of one of the English's?
Reply 19
As in how did I find them? I flopped the first because I didn’t know the text that came up very well. The other 2 were FABULOUS!! Thanks for asking :colondollar:

Original post by Manip01
Oh late reply, but how was the lang and lit exams?

Quick Reply

Latest