The Student Room Group

Don't want a job I've accepted.. Help!

Hello, my name is Katie.
I've recently been job hunting for something temporary to gather up money before heading off to uni as I'm moving from Northern Ireland to England for my course and it's pricy.

A lot of places turned me away because they don't want temporary staff. After ages of searching, I started to lose hope and it got to the point where I was just walking into every shop I could and asking if they had any jobs going.

Now, I have been offered a job in Claire's Accessories and out of excitement that I actually got a job offer I told them that I was interested in taking the job. But after looking at online reviews of people who worked there along with the realisation that the job role may involve having to pierce ears for babies and young children (which is somehow still legal in the UK????) I am doubting the suitability of the job for someone like me, who wants to go into healthcare to prevent the suffering of people not inflict pain to non-consenting babies purely for aesthetic purposes! I also recognise that they are not aware that I will be going to uni in September and feel like I am not being 100% transparent with them, which doesn't sit right with me.

They wanted me to bring in my documents today or tomorrow so that I could get started (bank details, national insurance number and proof of ability to work in the UK) and in my happiness at getting the job I said I would possibly bring them in on Monday (today) but I held off and have now received a missed a call from them.

I found out that a local petrol station is hiring and handed in an application today rather than going to Claire's and was honest with the petrol station that I will be leaving for uni. They are looking for temporary staff which is perfect for me. But what if I don't get the job there. I don't want to not have a job at all.

Do I take the job at Claire's or do I just wait a bit longer to see if this will work out (or possibly call tomorrow to show further interest and explain that I have another job offer but that I would prefer to work with them and ask when I will hear back from them??).

Any perspectives would be beneficial to me as I know I need to get back to them ASAP. Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kltleight
Hello, my name is Katie.
I've recently been job hunting for something temporary to gather up money before heading off to uni as I'm moving from Northern Ireland to England for my course and it's pricy.

A lot of places turned me away because they don't want temporary staff. After ages of searching, I started to lose hope and it got to the point where I was just walking into every shop I could and asking if they had any jobs going.

Now, I have been offered a job in Claire's Accessories and out of excitement that I actually got a job offer I told them that I was interested in taking the job. But after looking at online reviews of people who worked there along with the realisation that the job role may involve having to pierce ears for babies and young children (which is somehow still legal in the UK????) I am doubting the suitability of the job for someone like me, who wants to go into healthcare to prevent the suffering of people not inflict pain to non-consenting babies purely for aesthetic purposes! I also recognise that they are not aware that I will be going to uni in September and feel like I am not being 100% transparent with them, which doesn't sit right with me.

They wanted me to bring in my documents today or tomorrow so that I could get started (bank details, national insurance number and proof of ability to work in the UK) and in my happiness at getting the job I said I would possibly bring them in on Monday (today) but I held off and have now received a missed a call from them.

I found out that a local petrol station is hiring and handed in an application today rather than going to Claire's and was honest with the petrol station that I will be leaving for uni. They are looking for temporary staff which is perfect for me. But what if I don't get the job there. I don't want to not have a job at all.

Do I take the job at Claire's or do I just wait a bit longer to see if this will work out (or possibly call tomorrow to show further interest and explain that I have another job offer but that I would prefer to work with them and ask when I will hear back from them??).

Any perspectives would be beneficial to me as I know I need to get back to them ASAP. Thank you.

If youve changed your mind then just tell them you have had second thought and decline the offer.
If you have had the ability to get interviews then you can carry on applying elsewhere and keep looking.
You could try and hurry the petrol station along but its from a job you dont want anyway.
Hello, my name is Katie.

Hi there,

Hoping I can help.

I agree with @999tigger you should let Claire's Accessories know that you would like to decline the offer so that they can offer to others who may be on a waiting list.

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind when it comes to employment, check out www.e4s.co.uk to see if you can an alternative.

It sounds like you have the right attitude when it comes to going out and looking for work but I certainly wouldn't advise taking a job you don't feel comfortable with.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sophie.
Nothing at all wrong with letting Claire's know that you have changed your mind; I couldn't work in a job that I wasn't ethically comfortable with either.
Hello, my name is Katie.

take it......plus if you feel like you get better job or you can always quite they can't force you....at least you will get source o income and it might be good experience
Reply 5
Update: So I let them know after reading through some replies on here. They were very understanding. I am now working in a local shop which suits me a lot better. Thank you all for your input!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending