The Student Room Group

Broke a promise

So, I have a boyfriend at Uni that my parnets don't know about but my sisters do. Due to exam season i hadn't seen him and agreed to go on a date after exams were over before i got home for the summer break. However, on the day of my last exam i had to go home due to an emergency. He was upset about it and i kept telling him i would come back. So i decided i would come back for a week to spend with him before my tenancy at my accomdation ends. But due to another family complication I need to stay home for 4 weeks and by then my tenancy runs out. So i rang him and apologised and explained why i couldn't come back for a week. But i told him that i would definitely come and see him for a day and we can spend the whole day together. But he's been frustrated at me for breaking a promise. Even though I've explained why, and apologised and I'm trying to make it up to him. What should i do?
I can understand both ur viewpoints.
obviously for you, ur family comes first and emergencies must be dealt with. in his case, he just wishes to be with his girlfriend especially since you both just finished ur exams and haven't spent much time together. however I think you should focus on your family because there are complications and try explain and talk to him about how your family is really important now. if he truly cares for u, he will understand despite the fact that he may be a bit sad.

also rather than promising, let him know that when the problems finish then u will have a date with him rather than specifying which week u will meet with him and for how long. this just creates false hope. this way, he will wait for u since he can understand that family comes first. hope that helped!
Original post by Anonymous
So, I have a boyfriend at Uni that my parnets don't know about but my sisters do. Due to exam season i hadn't seen him and agreed to go on a date after exams were over before i got home for the summer break. However, on the day of my last exam i had to go home due to an emergency. He was upset about it and i kept telling him i would come back. So i decided i would come back for a week to spend with him before my tenancy at my accomdation ends. But due to another family complication I need to stay home for 4 weeks and by then my tenancy runs out. So i rang him and apologised and explained why i couldn't come back for a week. But i told him that i would definitely come and see him for a day and we can spend the whole day together. But he's been frustrated at me for breaking a promise. Even though I've explained why, and apologised and I'm trying to make it up to him. What should i do?
Nothing you can do. Of course you're probably both disappointed at not getting to see each other but something unusual and unexpected happened, that's life. The other day I was an hour late to meet my partner and couldn't even contact him until 30 mins in because of an emergency at work. **** happens. He can be disappointed but it's not something he can be that mad at you for. Just apologise and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending