The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Best places to live/avoid in southampton

as the title says, i want to know which parts of southampton are safer and which one i should avoid. i also don't want them to be very expensive if that's possible. i could probably do a commute between the uni and the place as long as it doesn't take me more than one hour. any suggestions/opinion? i know i'm asking for much but i at least want to know the best places to live in southampton
How do you intend to commute? There’s no parking at the university for students.

Most students live in Portswood (and some live in Highfield/Avenue/city centre). Solent students tend to live in the polygon area.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
My son lives there and calls it ****hampton! He lives in a quiet area near the football stadium: probs not near the uni though
Will tag him @Adoody28
Maybe he will have a better idea of where to be. He is not at uni but has a friend there.
The very best thing about Southampton are the ships that arrive at the terminals. Hope you can make it to see them

A... can you please tell op the ins and outs of Southampton?
Reply 3
God just run...
Original post by Anonymous
as the title says, i want to know which parts of southampton are safer and which one i should avoid. i also don't want them to be very expensive if that's possible. i could probably do a commute between the uni and the place as long as it doesn't take me more than one hour. any suggestions/opinion? i know i'm asking for much but i at least want to know the best places to live in southampton

I'm sorry you're having such unhelpful advice! Most students live in hall for Year 1 and then there are lots of places near the campus for students. The only thing to beware of is illegal HMOs ie having more rooms than they are supposed to have. A number of students stay there after graduation as they like the area so much.
Dear anon

If I was living at uni, I would like to live in student accommodation , as that is where all my friends would be. A long commute would be tiring and you will be far from social clubs etc. Not good when you’re rolling home from a party after 2am. If you are living near other students there will be people around at all hours and there is safety in numbers.

Always stay in a group late at night
Reply 6
My son is in uni there and lives in the Portswood area. He likes the area as it is not too far to walk to lectures, close to shops, close to bars & restaurants and because it is mainly students it has a comfortable feel.

He only really goes into the city centre to use the gym, the bank and clothes shopping.

When you say 'commute' do note that apart from no parking on campus many of the roads near the uni have resident only parking.
Reply 8

Portswood area is okay for the most part, along with the Highfield area, in and around Burgess Road - pretty much all of the houses in those areas are within a 20 minute walk to the campus.

Hello!

I don't know whether you are either currently studying/ thinking of studying at Solent or the University of Southampton, but it's great you have chosen to study in Southampton- what subject have you chosen?

During the first year, many of our students at Solent live in our student residences which are all located within a 10-15 walk of the university. You can find 5 of our residences along the same stretch of road near to Hoglands Park, one quite close to Ocean Village and another just opposite the train station, next to Asda in the town centre. Residences are a great way for you to meet people in a similar situation to you with similar interests- and we also offer accommodation for returning students in the second and third year, so you don't have to worry about finding other rented accommodation.

Having said that, some students in the second and third years choose other accommodation, either private halls or private rented properties, but these tend to be in areas such as the Polygon, Inner Avenue and City Centre due to the central location of the University (most private halls are in the City Centre). If you are interested in this, there is an organisation called SASSH between the council and both Universities which helps to find safe accommodation for students, here is their website.

As someone else has said, there is no parking on the University site for students, however some on-street parking close to the University offer pay and display, and there are multiple car parks in the City Centre.

I hope this has helped you in some way and there isn't too much information for you! Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Eloise :smile:
Hey guys! I don't know if everyone is sorted for accommodation but we have a spare room going in our 6-bedroom house of graduate entry medicine students for £266.67 per month that's a 10 min walk from campus. If anyone wants more info or has any questions about Southampton and the university etc. just let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending