The Student Room Group

Applying For Student Finance Late

As no one in my family has gone to university before i am the first to go through this, i dont believe my college told me a deadline for applying for student finance and i had not heard it from anyone else. There for i ended up checking today what the deadline is and i just realised i have already missed it. I am applying for it today 09/06/2019.

My issue is that, i only have about 2k saved up which will not cover the £9250 course fee or the rent which is why i have applied for both loans. I am really worried now that i wont be able to attend university because i wont have the loans in by the time i need them.

What should i do?
Original post by Klaud_
As no one in my family has gone to university before i am the first to go through this, i dont believe my college told me a deadline for applying for student finance and i had not heard it from anyone else. There for i ended up checking today what the deadline is and i just realised i have already missed it. I am applying for it today 09/06/2019.

My issue is that, i only have about 2k saved up which will not cover the £9250 course fee or the rent which is why i have applied for both loans. I am really worried now that i wont be able to attend university because i wont have the loans in by the time i need them.

What should i do?

Get your application in as soon as possible. SFE are normally very good at processing late applications.

Universities are normally understanding if you have applied for finance but it isn’t finalised in time (although I would guess that you should be fine if you apply this week and get any evidence asked for sent off asap)
Reply 2
Hey, ty for the reply, and yes im sending off the evidence tomorrow, hopefully it all goes well as my parents believe i have submitted it but im too worried to tell them i havent as im late and i dont want them to think of me as irresponsible (which i was in this situation), my only worry is that my family doesnt have the money to pay for the tuiton or even the rent if the money doesnt go through.
Original post by PQ
Get your application in as soon as possible. SFE are normally very good at processing late applications.

Universities are normally understanding if you have applied for finance but it isn’t finalised in time (although I would guess that you should be fine if you apply this week and get any evidence asked for sent off asap)
Your university might be able to help you, like they can sometimes provide a "bridging loan" to cover rent until the loan arrives. The earlier you let the university know the better, also means they know not to expect your tuition payment straight away

Also don't rush the forms and the evidence and make sure it's all in order and correct, you could spend an extra day sending it off to make sure it's right because if its wrong it could be weeks before they tell you it's wrong

Also make sure you add a reminder in your phone and your calendar for the deadline next year as you'll need to apply again and you don't wanna miss it twice...
Original post by Klaud_

What should i do?

The official deadline for applying for support is 9 months after the start of the academic year. The deadline put out when applications open are to ensure payments are made on time if you apply by the advertised date. With current student finance timescales if applying now, as long as you provide ID and other required evidence, you can still receive your payments on time so I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending