The Student Room Group

Differences in forensic psychology and psychology w/ criminology

Hi,

RN I'm in the way of looking for courses and unis and making my personal statement. I have filtered my courses down to either forensic psychology or psychology w/ criminology. I have been trying to find differences in courses and the different careers they offer but everything seems to be contradicting each other.

What I'm curious is; what are the key differences between the courses and what careers do they offer?

As for what I want to do in the future and my interests, I'm interested in finding out why criminals committed the crimes they did, and I hope that one day I can interview or talk to a serial killer or someone like that to see why they did what they did, how they are as a person, their side of the story basically.

I am thinking of going into criminal journalism in the future, but also I am thinking of going into teaching psychology or being a prison psychologist.

Which courses would help me on the way to these career choices?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by jojifan1809
Hi,

RN I'm in the way of looking for courses and unis and making my personal statement. I have filtered my courses down to either forensic psychology or psychology w/ criminology. I have been trying to find differences in courses and the different careers they offer but everything seems to be contradicting each other.

What I'm curious is; what are the key differences between the courses and what careers do they offer?

As for what I want to do in the future and my interests, I'm interested in finding out why criminals committed the crimes they did, and I hope that one day I can interview or talk to a serial killer or someone like that to see why they did what they did, how they are as a person, their side of the story basically.

I am thinking of going into criminal journalism in the future, but also I am thinking of going into teaching psychology or being a prison psychologist.

Which courses would help me on the way to these career choices?

Thank you in advance.

Each university will have different modules for each course, both would be relevant for your career, if they both have BPS accreditation then i'd just pick the course which has the modules in which you enjoy most:smile:
If you want to keep your options open, which is a sensible choice at this stage, then it doesn't matter which course you go for as long as it's accredited. Working in a prison as a psychologist would require a Masters degree in Forensic Psychology but that would come afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest