The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Dammit it happened again last night, and I was sleeping about as much on my side as I possibly could in order to try an prevent it... Ugh. The only good thing is that I have control of my eyes so I can shut them which would block out any hallucinations I might get... I'm petrified of getting the 'old hag'. I had to go and sleep on my mum's sofa bed last night cos I was so scared... bloody hell... I'm 17!!
Reply 41
Yep I once got this it was horrible I'm glad I never got it again.

I was like, I was awake but my brain was locked in a dream and I could see my room and there were shadows all over.
Reply 42
Boo_2
Does anyone else here suffer from sleep paralysis? For anyone who hasn't heard of it, wikipedia give a good summary here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I never suffered from sleep paralysis until about six months ago, and its getting more and more frequent, last night I think I had about 4 individual episodes, luckily with no horrible hallucinations but it was still really terrifying. Like I could blink and look around me but no matter how hard I tried, I could not move any other part of my body whatsoever, and no matter how hard I tried to scream, nothing would come out... Horrid...

Does anyone else get this? And does anyone know of any ways to stop it?

I get it all the time. I find that if I'm over-tired when I get to bed, like if I try to sleep pure exhausted, its more likely to happen because your mind is still overactive but you've fallen right asleep. Whereas, if you go to sleep naturally after getting to bed at a decent time, its less likely. Just a theory, I've never seen anyone about it either like a GP or whatever, because I assume there's not really much you can do about it.
Reply 43
I had it really bad last night :frown: It's normally just the can't move thing, but last night I could feel something heavy on me, and felt like someone was looking me right in the face. I could hear wind too and swear I could feel it on my face. After a minute or so I managed to turn my head to the side then it went away. I've only had it like this a few times before, I hope it doesn't become more regular :frown: Serves me right for laying on my back.
I get sleep paralysis pretty regularly...of a cat (it would purr and "knead" me with its paws, but without any pain) pinning me to the bed, belly down...at first it was horrible, and really strong so that I couldn't move at all, but I had it so often that eventually I got used to it, and I could fight it more and roll over! There was one utterly bizarre time when I grabbed hold of it, and threw it around :/ and it disappeared for about a week! But then it came back again. Luckily without revenge ahaha. So strange. I actually asked on a different forum...someone replied saying it was my pet cat in a past life that was looking out in protection me! I don't believe that haha..
Once when I was little, the first time I had anything of the sort, I was half in dreamland, and I could see the room spinning and hear children cackling...that was scary.
But I've heard about that "old hag", on Telly...sounds absolutely terrifying :frown:

Also, i "lucid dream" all the time!
Plus, to my relief, I can't remember the last time I had a nightmare, because -dozens- of times one has started, but I've known, and in the dream I shut and rub my eyes, I wake briefly, and go back to sleep; often to have a similar dream but without the scary point, if that makes sense.
Reply 45
Yup i used to get it a lot. Horrible feeling. It was related to sleeping too much for me.
Reply 46
Boo_2
Does anyone else here suffer from sleep paralysis? For anyone who hasn't heard of it, wikipedia give a good summary here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I never suffered from sleep paralysis until about six months ago, and its getting more and more frequent, last night I think I had about 4 individual episodes, luckily with no horrible hallucinations but it was still really terrifying. Like I could blink and look around me but no matter how hard I tried, I could not move any other part of my body whatsoever, and no matter how hard I tried to scream, nothing would come out... Horrid...

Does anyone else get this? And does anyone know of any ways to stop it?

I actually would love to experience one. :p:
I am pretty sure you can try and perform astral projection while in sleep paralysis, if you concentrate really hard!
Reply 47
Vjyrik
I actually would love to experience one. :p:
I am pretty sure you can try and perform astral projection while in sleep paralysis, if you concentrate really hard!

Yeah I used to think that before I actually experienced it!! Its weird cos I was always 'into' this kind of thing - knew a lot about OBE's/astral projecting, sleep paralysis, lucid dreams etc but never thought it would happen to me...

What teachnique do you think I could use to try and turn it into astral projection?! Its not like you have an 'unreal' body that you can just pull out of your real one.. I mean it doesn't feel like that, it just feels like your stuck.
Reply 48
Atomik
I get sleep paralysis all the time. Had it last night, actually. It's weird - I always get a weird vibrating feeling accompanying it, along with a loud buzzing sound. It's got so frequent that I'm aware of the fact that I'm in the middle of sleep paralysis when it hits me, and I try to enjoy it as if I were tripping. They can be quite scary though, but I guess the frequency of them makes it 'alright'. :smile:

You lucid dream? Ahh, so envious, so envioussss!

i have had trhat vibrating thing before too and never knew what it was! do you feeel completely paralysed at the same time, or like something is pulling you downwards?

this is going to sound very stupid but i have only had it twice and they were both staying in old hotels, i thought it was a ghost or something...oh dear
Reply 49
Boo_2
Yeah I used to think that before I actually experienced it!! Its weird cos I was always 'into' this kind of thing - knew a lot about OBE's/astral projecting, sleep paralysis, lucid dreams etc but never thought it would happen to me...

What teachnique do you think I could use to try and turn it into astral projection?! Its not like you have an 'unreal' body that you can just pull out of your real one.. I mean it doesn't feel like that, it just feels like you're stuck.
Well, from what I have figured, the feeling of being is stuck is because you are actually feeling your "astral body" and it is not moving / you've not gained perfect control of it.
You could try closing your eyes and simply imagining your body float out a bit by bit like a gas or water, if you are in sleep paralysis; but my description is pretty vague.

Perhaps this would be the best way, from my personal experience: imagine walking on a really tall skyscraper, seeing a skyline in early morning. Come closer and closer to the edge of the building. Visualise all of it in as much colour and detail as you can. You walk near the edge and look down - yellow taxis are commuting passengers through the town and miniature people are walking on the sideways. You simply walk off the building and feel rapid acceleration towards ground. You speed up more and more, but don't get to the bottom for a while, because the height of the skyscraped is very large. In a few seconds, you see windows of buildings coming closer and closer and relatively speeding up as you go down. Time stops. Nobody is moving except yourself. You reach the ground and feel your body push away from you, as you still are accelerating downwards. Visualise the collision as strongly as you can, and try to feel it.

This might work for you to astrally project. This method was the most successful method for my experiments, where I almost projected, but freaked out. :frown: Imagining any scenery and big heights always helps, from what I read. Just keeping your state as long as possible will enhance next attempts (not many people succeed quickly): some people get it in 10 minutes, some may take as long as two hours after twenty attempts.

You can further improve such experiences by altering your sleep a little: go to sleep at 11pm, set your alarm for 4am and do something that would make you stay mentally alert, but not physically (your body should be quite tired, still) and then attempt such a scenario / relaxation. The important aspect is keeping your mind alert and your body tired.

I'm a bit vague and am sure you could read more on the internet at lucid dream forums and such.

Good luck! Keep me posted, I want to hear if you succeed by any chance. :cool:

Now I want to try this, as the last lucid experiences I had were about two years ago. :rolleyes:
Reply 50
Vjyrik
Well, from what I have figured, the feeling of being is stuck is because you are actually feeling your "astral body" and it is not moving / you've not gained perfect control of it.
You could try closing your eyes and simply imagining your body float out a bit by bit like a gas or water, if you are in sleep paralysis; but my description is pretty vague.

Perhaps this would be the best way, from my personal experience: imagine walking on a really tall skyscraper, seeing a skyline in early morning. Come closer and closer to the edge of the building. Visualise all of it in as much colour and detail as you can. You walk near the edge and look down - yellow taxis are commuting passengers through the town and miniature people are walking on the sideways. You simply walk off the building and feel rapid acceleration towards ground. You speed up more and more, but don't get to the bottom for a while, because the height of the skyscraped is very large. In a few seconds, you see windows of buildings coming closer and closer and relatively speeding up as you go down. Time stops. Nobody is moving except yourself. You reach the ground and feel your body push away from you, as you still are accelerating downwards. Visualise the collision as strongly as you can, and try to feel it.

This might work for you to astrally project. This method was the most successful method for my experiments, where I almost projected, but freaked out. :frown: Imagining any scenery and big heights always helps, from what I read. Just keeping your state as long as possible will enhance next attempts (not many people succeed quickly): some people get it in 10 minutes, some may take as long as two hours after twenty attempts.

You can further improve such experiences by altering your sleep a little: go to sleep at 11pm, set your alarm for 4am and do something that would make you stay mentally alert, but not physically (your body should be quite tired, still) and then attempt such a scenario / relaxation. The important aspect is keeping your mind alert and your body tired.

I'm a bit vague and am sure you could read more on the internet at lucid dream forums and such.

Good luck! Keep me posted, I want to hear if you succeed by any chance. :cool:

Now I want to try this, as the last lucid experiences I had were about two years ago. :rolleyes:

Do you mean try the sky scraper thing at any random time or just when I'm in sleep paralysis??? What awere the circumstances when you came close to astral projection? What did it feel like??

I think I may have come close to it once.. I remember waking up in the night, in my first ever episode of sleep paralysis. I didn't realise straight away what it was due to the feeling of sheer panic that took over when I realised I couldn't move. I was actually lying on my back this time and I remember feeling as though I was flailing my arms around but not seeing them move, then I felt something like an invisible cord pulling at me from above, like it was trying to suck my soul out. I was so scared that I was dying that I fought it with all the strength I could summon, kept trying to scream etc, and eventually the 'cord' let go of me and I was able to move again, but I DEFINITELY felt the pulling feeling, I remember describing it to my mum the next day and her thinking I was weird.. lol. Looking back, I realise that could have had the potential to be my first experience of astral projection, but the pulling feeling was so terrifying and I had never experienced SP before so naturally I was very scared and stopped it... Damn...

Interestingly, the above time was the only time when I have been lying on my back and had a sleep paralysis episode.. I'd never thought of that before, maybe that was something to do with why it was so different...
Reply 51
Feexx
i have had trhat vibrating thing before too and never knew what it was! do you feeel completely paralysed at the same time, or like something is pulling you downwards?

Yeah, I feel completely paralysed. I had it two or three times last night, and once the night before. I've not been sleeping particularly well either. I wonder why I'm getting them so much recently. I suppose it's a bit unnerving. Hope getting them this frequently isn't bad...
Reply 52
Boo_2

Do you mean try the sky scraper thing at any random time or just when I'm in sleep paralysis??? What awere the circumstances when you came close to astral projection? What did it feel like??

I think I may have come close to it once.. I remember waking up in the night, in my first ever episode of sleep paralysis. I didn't realise straight away what it was due to the feeling of sheer panic that took over when I realised I couldn't move. I was actually lying on my back this time and I remember feeling as though I was flailing my arms around but not seeing them move, then I felt something like an invisible cord pulling at me from above, like it was trying to suck my soul out. I was so scared that I was dying that I fought it with all the strength I could summon, kept trying to scream etc, and eventually the 'cord' let go of me and I was able to move again, but I DEFINITELY felt the pulling feeling, I remember describing it to my mum the next day and her thinking I was weird.. lol. Looking back, I realise that could have had the potential to be my first experience of astral projection, but the pulling feeling was so terrifying and I had never experienced SP before so naturally I was very scared and stopped it... Damn...

Interestingly, the above time was the only time when I have been lying on my back and had a sleep paralysis episode.. I'd never thought of that before, maybe that was something to do with why it was so different...

Sorry for replying late, I've been pretty busy. I'll PM you when I have the time. *back to maths*:frown:
Reply 53
lol yea i had this a few times

i was drifting off to sleep and it felt like someone came and was pushing down on my chest, i couldnt move, was freaky ****.. i just put it down to the fact id been a bit heavy on the bong, stopped getting stoned before going to bed and it went away
Reply 54
I have experienced sleep paralysis too, in fact i just had one for the second time in my life that i remember clearly, I am **** scared so 'am just surfing the net to find out more (dont wanna sleep). In the recent one, i experienced a series of three dreams involving sleep paralysis. The most wierd thing is the third time it wasn't a dream, i really encountered a young boy pushing me down on my bed, his hand went right through my chest; through will and prayers I was able to repel him off, but he still stood at the end of the room and slowly smashed through the walls and vanished.
The other time before this that i remember vividly involved an old lady, but that was more of a dream though it too involved sleep paralysis. Here to she smashed through the window towards the end. Both these incidents happened in sheffield, UK.

And the most wierd incident happened a few years back when i experienced the alien hand syndrome, while i was travelling in a train in India. I was awake and not dreaming and had to put my left hand under my back (by sleeping and puting all my weight on it) for quite sometime in order to hold it from moving towards my neck. , as it was trying to strangle me for quite sometime.

The latter two of my experiences can/may be explained by science, one just being a dream the latter psychoanalytical nureosis (when the left and the right part of the brain encounters transmission dificulty through ome disability of the corpus humus) . But the 1st experience about the boy cant be explained in anyway how much ever i try to be rational, cause he was there, i wasnt dreaming or hallucinating, it was real. I really dont know...
I have never had it myself, but i have heard that the easiest way to get out of it is to close your eyes and go back to sleep as soon as you realise you can't move.

Latest

Trending

Trending