The Student Room Group

Student accomodation which allow children to stay

I've been offered a place at my first choice university, which is in London. I currently live in Bradford with my family and three year old son. I've been trying to find property close to the university, but i've hit a crossroad. The properties require me to either: pay a deposit beforehand, have a guarantor in place, or pay six months rent up front, though i'm unable to do those things.

Choosing a university close to me isn't really an option because there are very limited places that offer it, and the ones that do offer the course would require me to be in education for a further 3 years which is also something i don't really want to do.

I know a lot of places don't have any student accommodation for students with children who wouldn't have fulltime student status: but are there any places that do allow children to stay?
The alternative would be to leave my son with my family, which isn't ideal, and something i really don't want to do. I want to keep my son with me.
Original post by Croissant76
I've been offered a place at my first choice university, which is in London. I currently live in Bradford with my family and three year old son. I've been trying to find property close to the university, but i've hit a crossroad. The properties require me to either: pay a deposit beforehand, have a guarantor in place, or pay six months rent up front, though i'm unable to do those things.

Choosing a university close to me isn't really an option because there are very limited places that offer it, and the ones that do offer the course would require me to be in education for a further 3 years which is also something i don't really want to do.

I know a lot of places don't have any student accommodation for students with children who wouldn't have fulltime student status: but are there any places that do allow children to stay?
The alternative would be to leave my son with my family, which isn't ideal, and something i really don't want to do. I want to keep my son with me.

Which university and are you saying you wont have full time student status? The problem with London is that unis dont have as much accommodation as those outside. Then other way round it costs money, but you can get insurance, which I think costs an extra months rent.

I think the bigger problem is someone willing to have a 3 year old.
It's the university of east london, which is the most ideal out of the others: south bank and metropolitan, as they facilitate a nursery whereas the others don't.

Yeah that's the exact issue i'm having. A couple of places that i spoke to, can't remember the names of them, said because my son wouldn't be a full time student they can't accomodate him.

Original post by 999tigger
Which university and are you saying you wont have full time student status? The problem with London is that unis dont have as much accommodation as those outside. Then other way round it costs money, but you can get insurance, which I think costs an extra months rent.

I think the bigger problem is someone willing to have a 3 year old.
Original post by Croissant76
It's the university of east london, which is the most ideal out of the others: south bank and metropolitan, as they facilitate a nursery whereas the others don't.

Yeah that's the exact issue i'm having. A couple of places that i spoke to, can't remember the names of them, said because my son wouldn't be a full time student they can't accomodate him.

Have had a look and I cant see anything. You need to talk to their welfare team and accommodation.
They have a creche [they might know] , so they cant all be local. You wont be the first single parent. some unis have limited family accommodation.

If not private rented and a bedsit which considering its London could cost a lot.
I believe UEL has a high drop out rate, so make sure you go to the open day and look at employment stats. I wouldnt say its the best.
Is it something specific about London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending