The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Socrates08
With regard to living in Nottingham but commuting to derby for first year where would be the best self catered halls to live in?

100% broadgate park, I cannot stress this enough. I had friends on my course that lived in St Peters Court on Jubilee and you'll have to take 2 buses to get to the derby campus every day and another 2 back. Broadgate is like a 2 minute walk to the closest bus stop going to Derby.
Reply 301
Original post by MehmehMaster
Yeah it does but from what I’ve heard from my friends that live in the shared accomodation, it’s terrible. You will have to share bathrooms which is okay for some and also it’s just not as maintained as St. Peter’s court tbha.
Also for those thinking of living in broadgate studio rooms you should know there’s no oven, you just have a microwave

It's a conventional oven :biggrin: I 100% recommend living in broadgate - the bus to derby would be at 7:50 am and I'd leave my flat at 7:45. Plus I loved my little studio, it had everything you would need and it's perfect to live independently but also in such a diverse student environment. It made my a108 year the best.

Broadgate is definitely what you make of it, shared accom is nice and really depends on the people you live with - just like any other hall.
Reply 302
To you guys who are struggling with whether the 6 year med with a foundation year is for you:

I know no-one wants to spend longer at uni than they have to, but with medicine being not only an extremely taxing course, but also stressful career, the best thing you can do for yourself, and your future patients is to prepare for it. That is what the foundation year does.

I am beyond grateful that I was lucky enough to be part of the a108 course this year, i chose it over an a100 5 year course at plymouth because 1)nottingham student life is incredible 2)the reputation of the medschool was better and also 3) i knew that it produced the kind of doctors i aspire to be like.

Don't look down at the foundation year as a "waste of time" or "spending longer at uni" - if it prepares you to become the best doctor possible then it is wholeheartedly worth it. I know people on the a100 that were meant to be on the a108 but made it on there by the skin of their teeth. You are thrown into the deep end quite quickly and it is for that reason a foundation year can help you find your feet. There is a reason why the a100 is for AAA students, it is extremely hard work and if you struggle with 3 Alevels then you will find it even more difficult to keep up with medschool because of the sheer workload.

When you join the a108, because the cohort is so small - you truly feel like you are part of something and are known by name. The a108 has a sort of family system too, with past a108s available to you for support and guidance, alot more intimate than the regular medsoc family system. They're from a similar background to you, know how you feel and have so many more connections. You enter first year of the a100 more confident, settled and resolute. Past a108s say that they feel like they had an upperhand and felt more mature about their approach to medicine. You have 5 years of medschool which will fly by, 1 extra year will not kill you. It will brace you, sharpen you and ultimately help you in the long run to be a practitioner that does not burn out easily, but has the stamina to persevere for patients that rely on you.

To be part of the a108 is a privilege not given to many. It increases the diversity of the NHS so that it reflects the population that it serves. Saving £9k is not worth dropping out midcourse, your mental health nor the safety of future patients.

If you get an offer, please understand that the foundation year is a privilege, an asset and overall an advantage.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Naav.o
To you guys who are struggling with whether the 6 year med with a foundation year is for you:

I know no-one wants to spend longer at uni than they have to, but with medicine being not only an extremely taxing course, but also stressful career, the best thing you can do for yourself, and your future patients is to prepare for it. That is what the foundation year does.

I am beyond grateful that I was lucky enough to be part of the a108 course this year, i chose it over an a100 5 year course at plymouth because 1)nottingham student life is incredible 2)the reputation of the medschool was better and also 3) i knew that it produced the kind of doctors i aspire to be like.

Don't look down at the foundation year as a "waste of time" or "spending longer at uni" - if it prepares you to become the best doctor possible then it is wholeheartedly worth it. I know people on the a100 that were meant to be on the a108 but made it on there by the skin of their teeth. You are thrown into the deep end quite quickly and it is for that reason a foundation year can help you find your feet. There is a reason why the a100 is for AAA students, it is extremely hard work and if you struggle with 3 Alevels then you will find it even more difficult to keep up with medschool because of the sheer workload.

When you join the a108, because the cohort is so small - you truly feel like you are part of something and are known by name. The a108 has a sort of family system too, with past a108s available to you for support and guidance, alot more intimate than the regular medsoc family system. They're from a similar background to you, know how you feel and have so many more connections. You enter first year of the a100 more confident, settled and resolute. Past a108s say that they feel like they had an upperhand and felt more mature about their approach to medicine. You have 5 years of medschool which will fly by, 1 extra year will not kill you. It will brace you, sharpen you and ultimately help you in the long run to be a practitioner that does not burn out easily, but has the stamina to persevere for patients that rely on you.

To be part of the a108 is a privilege not given to many. It increases the diversity of the NHS so that it reflects the population that it serves. Saving £9k is not worth dropping out midcourse, your mental health nor the safety of future patients.

If you get an offer, please understand that the foundation year is a privilege, an asset and overall an advantage.

💯
couldn’t have said it better
Original post by Naav.o
100% broadgate park, I cannot stress this enough. I had friends on my course that lived in St Peters Court on Jubilee and you'll have to take 2 buses to get to the derby campus every day and another 2 back. Broadgate is like a 2 minute walk to the closest bus stop going to Derby.

En-suite st broadgate ran out and apparently it’s not worth the money I ended up at SPC
Original post by Naav.o

Completely agree :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending