Failed module in final year and can't graduate - what now? Watch

ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I guess you're not the real MVP anymore are you?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by I'm The Real MVP)
I was due to graduate my law degree with a 2:1 and somehow tanked an exam in one of my modules, causing me to fail that module and therefore making me ineligible to receive my degree. I'm honestly freaking out, I've contacted my uni and am awaiting a response but in the meantime what do I do?? Has anyone experienced this before? I'm unsure if I can retake this summer or be re-entered to retake during next year's exam period as I'm a finalist. Will I have to redo 3rd year all over again?? How do I handle grad schemes that I've applied to? Same with postgrad degrees?? I really, really appreciate any and all serious advice...
Well IF the next resit is a whole year away, then i guess you dont have much choice but to try and defer your place at Zurich (probably best to avoid telling them u failed a module if you can). But not having a summer resit period is highly abnormal, could you request for an examination by viva this summer, its unlikely to be granted but its better than waiting a year if possible.
I'm The Real MVP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
I guess you're not the real MVP anymore are you?
r/sadcringe
(Original post by mnot)
Well IF the next resit is a whole year away, then i guess you dont have much choice but to try and defer your place at Zurich (probably best to avoid telling them u failed a module if you can). But not having a summer resit period is highly abnormal, could you request for an examination by viva this summer, its unlikely to be granted but its better than waiting a year if possible.
What is this exactly? I haven't heard of it before but it might be worth looking into.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is this exactly? I haven't heard of it before but it might be worth looking into.
a viva is an oral examination, it's a bit like an interview. Normally you do these at the end of your dissertation or when submitting a thesis, however they can extend out for other subjects.
stoddary
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
they should offer a resit in the summer, as long as you attended classes from my experience, with my university, don't panic to much, as if you pass the resit you can carry on to your place at Zurich, as you will have your
RabidDude
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Resits are in May/June 2020. And to make matters worse I got notice this afternoon that I'd been accepted into the postgrad course that I'd applied for... I don't think they will allow me to defer either. My uni doesn't offer the pass by compensation system either, the only option available to me is to resit. This whole thing has really thrown me for a loop as now I guess I have to give up my postgrad plans as well. In the meantime, as you said I suppose I'd better focus instead on looking for a job/placement.

SOAS. The August resit period is only available to non-finalists here, hence I have to wait a year to retake.

Yes, I checked and the resit is capped at 40% - the grades from my coursework for that module still stand and I would end up with a 3rd either way, though this wouldn't affect my 2:1 - but of course I still have to wait until next year to resit so no chance of graduation later this month.
It's outrageous that they don't offer standard resits to final years. Heartbreaking too what you said about the postgrad course. Have a chat with your uni careers service or student office to make sure there is absolutely no way around this and ask for their advice about the postgrad course. Following that I suppose the best you can do is ask if that course will let you defer and hope that they will
Hussman95
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya - I just found this on the SOAS website. At your university, it is called a condoned fail. Check the attachment! Hope this helps.
Attached files
I'm The Real MVP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
a viva is an oral examination, it's a bit like an interview. Normally you do these at the end of your dissertation or when submitting a thesis, however they can extend out for other subjects.
This is something I've never heard of before but I've asked about it and they would not allow it, thank you though for the suggestion!
(Original post by Hussman95)
Hiya - I just found this on the SOAS website. At your university, it is called a condoned fail. Check the attachment! Hope this helps.
Hi, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! This isn't something I'd seen before. It looks like it might be only available to non-finalist, but regardless I've asked and am awaiting a response. This would be a godsend if it works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.84%

Watched Threads