The Student Room Group

A levels biology.

Is biology a level the most difficult science?
Reply 1
This really depends on how you as an individual find biology in comparison to the other sciences. In my experience, I've heard of A-level Physics being the hardest science, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. It's basically impossible to say as it depends on the individual the most.
Original post by Fish123fish123
Original post by Fish123fish123

In terms of the difficulty of understanding the content, definitely No. Probably the easiest.
In terms of the volume of information that must be memorised and the need to prepare exam technique very carefully to answer questions in the way examiners expect, quite possibly.
(edited 4 years ago)
This is very subjective and we can't answer this from your perspective as it depends what your strengths and weaknesses are. I did Biology and Chemistry and found chemistry much harder, however not everyone does.

Biology contains a lot of content and so is based more on memorisation. However the exams themselves are more about application and data handling rather than straight recall of content. E.g. they're more likely to give you questions based on experiments you've never seen and expect you to apply your knowledge to an unknown situation rather than ask you directly how the kidneys work (though these questions can come up). This, along with the sheer amount of content, is what makes it difficult however it is also very interesting and if you practice enough exam technique to know how the markschemes want you to answer them then you should be fine!

The other sciences tend to have slightly less content and are more based on maths, formulas, etc. and (from my experience) tend to have more right/wrong answers than biology where it is largely subjective.

Quick Reply

Latest