The Student Room Group

Is travelling solo 'sad'?

So I'm planning to travel to Edinburgh next weekend on my own for the first time to do some sight seeing + I've never been to Scotland before and need some me time.

I've been met with mixed reactions from people such as 'It's sad', 'won't you get lonely' or 'wouldn't you want to go with friends'

what do you lots think?
No not sad at all. I'm going away tomorrow alone for the week. I always do. I getvto do what I want and meet lots of new people. If you think you might get lonely and bored alone then it's not the best idea but if you're looking for some me time then it's perfect. It takes a brave person though
Reply 2
It depends on what you've think. If you have right people around you to travel with, it'll be more beneficial to travel together. If you don't, you made the right choice
There is certainly nothing 'sad' about travelling alone if that's what you want to do. You are only lonely if you're unhappy about not being with friends.

There are people who judge others who go to places like restaurants or on holiday alone, but there's no reason why anyone should have to be with friends 24/7. Wouldn't that be tiring?
Reply 4
Original post by Fruits125
No not sad at all. I'm going away tomorrow alone for the week. I always do. I getvto do what I want and meet lots of new people. If you think you might get lonely and bored alone then it's not the best idea but if you're looking for some me time then it's perfect. It takes a brave person though

exactly. I'm 21 and I've been on holiday with family and separate holidays with friends. Now I want to try somewhere on my own - I think solitude is a wonderful thing and you don't have to worry about anyone else or scheduling your holiday time around the needs of others. I don't know why there's such a stigma attached to solo travel.
Reply 5
Original post by GreenCub
There is certainly nothing 'sad' about travelling alone if that's what you want to do. You are only lonely if you're unhappy about not being with friends.

There are people who judge others who go to places like restaurants or on holiday alone, but there's no reason why anyone should have to be with friends 24/7. Wouldn't that be tiring?

certain people need to see this. Funny thing is I've got a very supportive family and a good set of friends - I just want some me time. I did an internship in a city, away from all my uni friends for 10 months - turns out I actually enjoy myself alone, just as much as I do with friends!
Reply 6
Not on the slightest, it can be great fun!
Of course not. I travel alone and sometimes prefer it. It means you can go at your own pace, engage in things you otherwise wouldn't (my inspiration for solo travel is gigs), and more likely to meet new people.
Original post by Fuego1
So I'm planning to travel to Edinburgh next weekend on my own for the first time to do some sight seeing + I've never been to Scotland before and need some me time.

I've been met with mixed reactions from people such as 'It's sad', 'won't you get lonely' or 'wouldn't you want to go with friends'

what do you lots think?

There is nothing wrong with travelling solo. People who think it is sad that you're travelling on your own are mostly people would depend on others both emotionally / psychologically or even financially. They need to understand everyone is different.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fuego1
certain people need to see this. Funny thing is I've got a very supportive family and a good set of friends - I just want some me time. I did an internship in a city, away from all my uni friends for 10 months - turns out I actually enjoy myself alone, just as much as I do with friends!

Exactly. There's nothing sad about travelling alone unless you choose to make it that way - if you enjoy going alone just go ahead.
That's what I wanted to say to you! The time is yours, you are taking control of your trip and movements without being tied to a group or at least another person. As long as you are determined, well-oriented and enthusiastic about it, that's all what matters.
yeah, to others, but if u r happy then dont care
i wouldnt judge anyone bc i literally choose to do everything solo.
ppl just stop u from doing what u like lol
Definitely not sad. Especially if you're going somewhere new, I'd say it was more brave and courageous.
Nooooot at allll
Life's too short to care about what other people think.

Go, it'll be great.
The opposite of sad! If someone is travelling alone I think they are a interesting and independent person and my opinion of they is higher than otherwise.

Its also just more fun, perhaps surprisingly!
Not sad, there's the Fringe and the book festival to enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest