The Student Room Group

32 and starting from scratch.. ferraris to fiats

Time flies, used to check out these forums when I was a student and only hit me as I'm typing this it was over a decade ago!
Studied a health and environment related degree at University, mind wasn't much in it and came out with a 3rd, around the same time I started a business which rocketed and allowed me to travel, buy a home/ my dream cars, financial freedom and all in my 20's. Long story cut short 2 or 3 bad investments and it all came crashing down and now in my early 30's I've just got back on track recovered from the debt I incurred as a result of all this. Had a huge effect on my self esteem for many years and I've been in between mediocre non skilled jobs complacent I won't have to exercise my brain or make any mistakes.

So here we are without a clue of what I can do, only just realising this is a crucial juncture for me. I have a 3rd bsc degree I don't suppose much use (not that I remember much after all these years)! Question is, what would you do in this situation? I'm hoping for some kind of 1 year course that can land me mid range in surveying, oil/ gas, rail? Any recommendations or journey sharing would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations for getting back on your feet, it's not easy and I've met more than one person who's been through a similar situation.

If you're interested in surveying have you thought about taking a conversion course? It sounds like land surveying is what you're interested in. Make sure it's accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (https://www.rics.org/uk/) thou! RICS accredited courses can be found here: http://www.ricscourses.org/Course/#.
Original post by Tee
Time flies, used to check out these forums when I was a student and only hit me as I'm typing this it was over a decade ago!
Studied a health and environment related degree at University, mind wasn't much in it and came out with a 3rd, around the same time I started a business which rocketed and allowed me to travel, buy a home/ my dream cars, financial freedom and all in my 20's. Long story cut short 2 or 3 bad investments and it all came crashing down and now in my early 30's I've just got back on track recovered from the debt I incurred as a result of all this. Had a huge effect on my self esteem for many years and I've been in between mediocre non skilled jobs complacent I won't have to exercise my brain or make any mistakes.

So here we are without a clue of what I can do, only just realising this is a crucial juncture for me. I have a 3rd bsc degree I don't suppose much use (not that I remember much after all these years)! Question is, what would you do in this situation? I'm hoping for some kind of 1 year course that can land me mid range in surveying, oil/ gas, rail? Any recommendations or journey sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Think what you look like from an employer's perspective. What is the basis/foundation for your chronology and does it make sense to an employer?

So the key is - what sector were you in with your business? If it wasn't surveying, oil/gas or rail, then that jump will look very odd to an employer.

Why not leverage your business skills with an MBA if you haven't already got one, and look at the wide range of industries you could get into as a PM, for example.

Ignore the original degree, it's useless, unless you want to leverage something in the health sector.

Basically, step sideways into something that might be new, but leverages as much of your prior experience as possible, with a planned second step in a few years time. Don't try and jump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending