The Student Room Group

Getting into a uni

Hi i am currently contemplating dropping IT for the A2 year and am wondering if this would indeed harm the chances of getting into a uni. I am on the courses Maths, Chem, Phy and ICT and say a uni required AAB and i achieved this without the ICT grade would i be considered still.

I ask as i do not know if these AAB, AAA systems are credited on UCAS points or not. Take Warwick- they require ABB for Bsc Chemistry, if i were to get bare minimum ABB without the extra ICT grade would i still be considered.
So should i continue ICT into A2?

More pressingly, is that extra 4th grade important?
ICT is worthless.

Try dropping it and taking Computing at AS :smile:
No, you only need 3 a-levels..why harm your chances of getting better grades with an extra subject too worry about?

search through the forum and theres loads of stuff about whether you need extra a2-levels etc

personally i think they're a waste of time, except from furthur maths etc
If somewhere is asking for grades then the total points that you score does not matter, if the uni's that you are looking at give grade offers rather than points offers you don't benefit application wise from keeping a 4th subject. If you are able to take one and do well in all 4 subjects it is not a bad idea to take a 4th A2 or pick up a new AS.
Will.here.i.am
Hi i am currently contemplating dropping IT for the A2 year and am wondering if this would indeed harm the chances of getting into a uni. I am on the courses Maths, Chem, Phy and ICT and say a uni required AAB and i achieved this without the ICT grade would i be considered still.

I ask as i do not know if these AAB, AAA systems are credited on UCAS points or not. Take Warwick- they require ABB for Bsc Chemistry, if i were to get bare minimum ABB without the extra ICT grade would i still be considered.
So should i continue ICT into A2?

More pressingly, is that extra 4th grade important?

I am having some difficulty deciphering the above; please try and be (a) a little clearer and (b) more concise.

Anyway, in most cases 4 A-levels will not give you an advantage over 3. Furthermore if an Offer is made based upon 3 grades (e.g. ABB chemistry Warwick) then why would you think that a 4th grade is important? ...
Keep the good three, I don't think ICT is worth much.
Reply 6
Drop it and keep the others. It won't make any difference at all to a three grade offer.
My offers were perfectly happy to accept ICT (granted I had other subjects to chose from to meet my offer with, but none of them said it wouldn't be counted).
I personally think if you can cope with all four, then do them all- it gives you a bit of leeway on results day etc. However if there is any chance that doing four will mean you don't perform as well as you should, stick to just the three. In my opinion, getting AAA is better than AABB.
Amm0
ICT is worthless.

Try dropping it and taking Computing at AS :smile:

Hehe, goto love the person that negged me for that. At least leave your name :p:

Oh sorry, were you too busy doing a powerpoint?
depends on what you apply to regarding ICT - however it is not needed for chem etc. it will not affect your offers or anything like that! as long as you get a good grade at AS - some unis ask for a grade in the AS subject in the offer e.g. ive been asked AAB and B at AS general studies (i flunked my other extra AS subjects)!

but my friend is doing a fourth subject (physics) and hating it!! soo much extra work, and shes the science swot (still only got a three grade offer - and they disregarded physics in the offer too)!! a fourth a-level wont improve your uni chances either - in fact it can hinder them as some unis see it that you just want to impress with all these subjects when they want to see that you have a personality too!

even i was going to do german a2 (obviously not when i found out i got a C), but it would have drained me of energy and a life! i wouldnt have got a medicine offer and i never would have been able to concentarte on the three im doing! i could on just keep on top of the a-levels i was doing.

the recommended 3 subjects is there for a reason...
ICT is a daft subject but it is by no means worthless. It is a part of my offer for York University; if it's good enough for them, it'll be good enough for most places.
Reply 11
If you feel you can get a good grade in it without too much effort that would pull down your other subjects, contiune with it, otherwise don't.

From what I know of the subjects you took, ie Maths,Chem,Phys, your time would be far better spent concentrating on doing well in them, instead of ICT lessons.
Most uni's will ask for your grades to be in them 3 I would imagine.

Surprised at warwick being ABB for chemistry, I was convinced that the only courses less then AAB were for languages, and that was probably only due to the shortage of good linguists. Ahh well...
Reply 12
you only need 3 alevels, loads of places take 4 AS then drop one at the end of Yr12.
OK everybody,

Thanks for all of your advice and i have found it very valuable. I will talk over with my ICT teacher to see if ICT is workable and i will give it 4 weeks to prove its self. Otherwise i will drop it as advised on here. The other 3 subjects need tending to more.
you don't need four a-levels. most university offers are getting a certain amount of points, but only from 3 a2 level subjects so it wil just be a waste of time.
your other subjects with good grades will basically get u where u wanna go:smile:
altho some universities ask for a good grade in the an as level too, so u still need a good grade in ict at as-level even if u r plannig on dropping it:smile:
ICT i dont think is personally worthless, ive got accepted to aston for AAB.
Compared to the people on here all my subjects are probably worthless, i Take ART, ICT and business.
lil_miss_annoymous
ICT i dont think is personally worthless, ive got accepted to aston for AAB.
Compared to the people on here all my subjects are probably worthless, i Take ART, ICT and business.

Same here, York accepted me on the condition I achieve grade B in both English Language and ICT (standard offer ABB) and my other subjects are Religious Studies, Business Studies and General Studies. I also take worthless subjects it would seem.

Latest