The Student Room Group

university in clearing

Hi
So I have D*,D,D in Btec level 3 IT with English and Maths at grade C I was wondering which Uni would take I'm Trying to get into as best uni as possible. I don't mind doing a foundation year at a top university.

Thank you so much
Original post by leobarry
Hi
So I have D*,D,D in Btec level 3 IT with English and Maths at grade C I was wondering which Uni would take I'm Trying to get into as best uni as possible. I don't mind doing a foundation year at a top university.

Thank you so much

What kind of course do you want to do? :smile:
Hi

Thank you so much

Have you seen our wonderful PQ's clearing list thread?
Reply 3
Original post by Protostar
What kind of course do you want to do? :smile:

computer science
computer science

Most top universities require A level Maths for Computer science due to its heavy Maths content. There are a number of universities that will accept you without it hut usually require grade B in GCSE Maths. Kent would accept you with your Btec and GCSE result.
You could probably get into some top unis to do a foundation in computing
computer science

I've just had a look on this website:
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?filters=Destination_Undergraduate&SearchText=computer+science

and it looks like there are a few decent unis that will accept based on their usual requirements - through clearing they tend to lower them a bit so this is something to bear in mind :smile: Quite a lot want a B in GCSE maths but potentially this is something that can be worked around :wink:
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?filters=Destination_Undergraduate&SearchText=computer+science

and it looks like there are a few decent unis that will accept based on their usual requirements - through clearing they tend to lower them a bit so this is something to bear in mind :smile: Quite a lot want a B in GCSE maths but potentially this is something that can be worked around :wink:

universities usually insist on the gcse Maths requirement. OP should have taken Maths gcse again to achieve grade b
Reply 8

I very much hope so.
For clearing do I just ring the uni and ask if they have places and would the accept me with my grades

I do sqa exams, not GCSE's but I'm going to assume it works the same for this question. How likely are unis to overlook not having a national 5 maths qualification or a B at GCSE maths? is it common for unis to work around it? if so what would the work around be?
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
universities usually insist on the gcse Maths requirement. OP should have taken Maths gcse again to achieve grade b

Do you thinks foundation course might be leaner on GCSE Maths if you achieve or exceed other requirements
I very much hope so.
For clearing do I just ring the uni and ask if they have places and would the accept me with my grades

Yeah that's basically how it works. If they say no then push for a foundation year perhaps, maybe they offer one :dontknow:
Original post by swanseajack1

Ah I didn't know that, sorry OP :redface:
Reply 13
I hope one good uni gives me a place even with foundation year.
I hope one good uni gives me a place even with foundation year.

Fingers crossed for you! :crossedf:
Do you thinks foundation course might be leaner on GCSE Maths if you achieve or exceed other requirements

There is a possibility they might let you take a foundation year instead. These will cost you at least £15000 plus in terms of fees and living costs. They also use your spare years fees so should you fail your first year you would have to find another amount as student fees wont cover your third year. The other option would be to resit your GCSE Maths and obtaIn a grade B. With a grade B in Maths and your qualifications you would probably get into the likes of Lancaster, Swansea, Royal Holloway, Reading and East Anglia. However Kent is a very good university and will probably take you with your current grades as they only require grade C gcse Maths
Hi

Thank you so much

Hi there!
Congratulations on your grades :biggrin: I'd really recommend checking out the University of Kent for their computer science course, I have several friends who have done computer science at Kent and they've really enjoyed it. With your grades you'll definitely be able to get into Kent just as long as you have a C at GCSE Maths :smile: I'll leave the course information page below which also contains a link to applying through clearing, in case you are interested at all.
Good luck with your university search :smile:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science#overview
Hi

Thank you so much

Hi leobarry. It's always worth checking out your options and discussing them with a university of your choice. Feel free to give us a call or use our live chat on our website and our team will be happy to discuss all of your options. :smile:

Fingers crossed you get what you want. Do let us know how it goes for you!
Hi

Thank you so much

Have a look at target universities' websites - you'll know the type of uni you want. Luckily CompSci is one of those courses where it's really hard to go wrong but universities will have different types of compsci and you'll need to make the choice between academic compsci or practical compsci. Academic compsci tends to be heavily maths based and includes a lot of theoretical knowledge, whereas practical will be more practical including more topics such as programming and database management.

I've done both coming from a BTEC background too - well done btw! - and ended up at Nottingham where in the first year I sat an additional maths module to get me up to speed with the maths I'd missed by not sitting A level Maths. I also had a grade C at the time. I'm now a PhD in computer science - there's always a way to get where you want whatever choice you make.

Once you find courses you know that you'll enjoy, make contact. Ignore rankings - compsci degrees are what you make of them. If accreditation with the BCS is important, keep an eye out for that too.
Hi

Thank you so much

Hello!

Have you considered the University of Reading computer science course? The clearing hotline number is: 0118 402 0900. We do usually ask for a grade B or above in GCSE Maths, but it is worth giving the clearing advisors a call and seeing if they can help once you tell them your achieved BTEC grades. You can find more information about the course here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/computer-science-ug/bsc-computer-science.aspx
I just finished my final year studying here at Reading and I really enjoyed it, it is a campus university with so much green space and a real sense of community. I have had friends who did this course and they had a great time, lots of opportunities for placements years etc.

Best of luck and if you have any questions then please do let us know!
Alice :h:
Final year student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending