The Student Room Group

Best Uni To Study Medicine

Scroll to see replies

River85
It just seemed as if Graemematt was directing it towards all people, including current students (whether medical or not) who I would have thought would know going to Cambridge is not necessarily going to be any better than going to Manchester or Peninsula.

Yeah, sorry about that, it was intended for those people who come on here just to ask "which medical school is the BESTEST" and kinda get old and boring. I almost understand their plight, as there are university rankings for medical schools as well as the fact that careers advisors are (usually) horribly undereducated in medical school applications. But some people just play the ignorant card far too often in this card game really...
Joe555
Nottingham! Pepe le Poosh will back me up on this too: p

I heard my name mentioned. Yeah it is the best.

End of thread.
Reply 22
Elles
First BM Oxford 2003 - 2005 = I spent at least the same time, if not more either in interspersed practicals (there are many - in physiology, pharmacology, pathology, neuroscience, integrative physiology and then in histology/anatomy), seminars, tutorials (& their preparation) & doing doctor-patient stuff.

FHS 2006 = pretty damn far from solid lectures (perhaps 2-3hours pw?) - it was tutorial preparation, dissertation work & research project.

First BM certainly isn't solid lectures, but most of the practicals are basic science rather than clinical, apart from perhaps anatomy. It may not be solid lectures, but it's not particularly clinical, and it is definitely traditional! Not to knock it though - now I'm finishing off clinical anatomy and looking back over the three years, I can see what a great preparation it is for clinical studies.

FHS is divinely free of lectures, but again, unless you pick a clinically-orientated project or extended essay, it's heavily scientific with almost zero clinical relevance. And I say that having picked Infection & Immunity as my option (could really be renamed Molecules & Even More Molecules).
Reply 23
I didn't disagree it was 'traditional' but very strongly with the underlined "basically three years of solid lectures"!
Reply 24
Quistis
First BM certainly isn't solid lectures, but most of the practicals are basic science rather than clinical, apart from perhaps anatomy. It may not be solid lectures, but it's not particularly clinical, and it is definitely traditional! Not to knock it though - now I'm finishing off clinical anatomy and looking back over the three years, I can see what a great preparation it is for clinical studies.

FHS is divinely free of lectures, but again, unless you pick a clinically-orientated project or extended essay, it's heavily scientific with almost zero clinical relevance. And I say that having picked Infection & Immunity as my option (could really be renamed Molecules & Even More Molecules).

I LOVE that you're telling an Oxford medic about the course she is almost finished with!!! Classic!!!
Reply 25
medicinbe is one of those courses which its "lets just concentrate on getting a offer." Apparently Cambridge is best though.
Haha...not at all. Your first point is true, very few people aim to get more than one offer, as the saying goes, "one offer is all you need"! But the second point, well, the fact is that all medical schools are accredited by the GMC and carry equal merit, and teach in different styles, which suit different-minded people. Therefore it's not really a case of which medical school is the best, but rather which one suits you :smile:
Reply 27
Depends what you want.
My sister is a Cardiff Uni medic and shunned Oxbridge because she wanted to be doing dissection right from the start, rather than doing a course so reliant on prosection.
River85
I'm not denying that many applicants/sixth form students thing Oxbridge is the bees knees and most presitigious for virtually every course.

You know, this got me thinking. I dont know about at other people's schools, but at mine we were actually discouraged from applying to Oxbridge as we were told it was too high an aspiration for us. Well, one girl was recommended for there, but she was a genius. Still, what's the general consensus on oxbridge application encouragement?

At my school, you see, being in the west of scotland, we were all told to apply to Glasgow/Strathclyde. The school only organised trips to Glasgow/Strathy open days too...for my st andrews one I had to go independently. Sucks huh!
Reply 29
Angelil
Depends what you want.
My sister is a Cardiff Uni medic and shunned Oxbridge because she wanted to be doing dissection right from the start, rather than doing a course so reliant on prosection.

Oxbridge? = two universities, two medical schools - not campus branches of Oxbridge Medical School! :p:

(The clue is in the formatting there as to who I suspect still use a fair bit of dissection as standard in their anatomy, but with Helenia off having fun (!) I'm not sure who else currently there frequents this forum...)
Reply 30
graemematt
You know, this got me thinking. I dont know about at other people's schools, but at mine we were actually discouraged from applying to Oxbridge as we were told it was too high an aspiration for us. Well, one girl was recommended for there, but she was a genius. Still, what's the general consensus on oxbridge application encouragement?

Don't know about the other prospective medics at my sister's school, but my sister was encouraged to apply. Too bad she wasn't interested!
A couple of medics applied from my year as well, but neither got in (didn't even get to interview stage).

Elles
Oxbridge? = two universities, two medical schools - not campus branches of Oxbridge Medical School!

(The clue is in the formatting there as to who I suspect still use a fair bit of dissection as standard in their anatomy, but with Helenia off having fun (!) I'm not sure who else currently there frequents this forum...)

Meaning she didn't want to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge :rolleyes: I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant - you're just being facetious :p:
Reply 31
Angelil

Meaning she didn't want to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge :rolleyes: I'm sure you knew exactly what I meant - you're just being facetious :p:

Well my point was more that saying "I don't want to go to Oxbridge because I want to do dissection from the start" seems somewhat silly:

Oxford = do 'rely' on prosection (separate discussion as to pros & cons!)
Cambridge = don't! Certainly for my peers it was pretty dissection-tastic & hasn't dramatically changed recently, AFAIK. Although as I said, a student there would obviously know more...

Re. encouragement - I wasn't particularly by my 6th form, it was massive so there weren't really teachers who knew all about you in all subjects telling you what to do. They laid on Oxbridge info sessions though & there was someone else to go through your UCAS form (though everyone's personal tutor did & there was another specific tutor who looked at medic PSs) so there was support though - in my year 3 of us got in for Medicine & 1 for Physiology, plus I think one person went to the dark side to be a medic there, though no idea how many applied!
Reply 32
Elles
Well my point was more that saying "I don't want to go to Oxbridge because I want to do dissection from the start" seems somewhat silly:

Oxford = do 'rely' on prosection (separate discussion as to pros & cons!)
Cambridge = don't! Certainly for my peers it was pretty dissection-tastic & hasn't dramatically changed recently, AFAIK. Although as I said, a student there would obviously know more...

Fair enough. However, she had other reasons as well, not just the dissection vs prosection thing.
Reply 33
graemematt

At my school, you see, being in the west of scotland, we were all told to apply to Glasgow/Strathclyde. The school only organised trips to Glasgow/Strathy open days too...for my st andrews one I had to go independently. Sucks huh!

I've heard that happen in other schools. Teachers actually discouraging pupils from applying to Oxbridge even some pupils who do have obvious potential. I find it quite sad. How is that going to raise expectations or the numbers of state school pupils at Oxbridge.

A fair amount of pressure was placed on pupils from my school to go to Oxbridge. It was a top school (but still a Roman Catholic state school nonetheless). There was quite a tradition of sending a few students each year. They were quite clued up and experienced as a school. Also we had visits from Oxford tutors and Cambridge students.

I just don't understand discouraging students. After all, what's the worst that can happen?
Reply 34
Fluffy
I LOVE that you're telling an Oxford medic about the course she is almost finished with!!! Classic!!!

Erm, I'm an Oxford medic too. I've done 3 years (as compared to elles' 5, admittedly), and I wanted to clarify the point she was making.

Did you really have to be so unpleasant? I have done 3 years of the same course as elles, and was commenting on the three years that we have both done. Did you not understand I was at Oxford too, or am I somehow less qualified than elles to discuss a course we've both taken?
Reply 35
Yes I did, but your post came across as harsh and as if you were trying to contradict her - I got the impression you were off to SGUL - that's not a common practice for an oxford medic... :wink:
*rawr* catfight :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Fluffy
Yes I did, but your post came across as harsh and as if you were trying to contradict her - I got the impression you were off to SGUL - that's not a common practice for an oxford medic... :wink:

I wasn't trying to contradict her, just expanding on her point. I didn't mean to sound harsh and if I did, she has my apologies. But I don't understand why you're being so hostile towards me - yes, I am transferring to SGUL, but ~20-30 medics out of each year transfer to London for the 3 clinical years. And I can't see how my transferring for clinicals is relevant, as I have done the same first 3 years that elles was talking about, and so presumably I'm qualified to have an opinion on them too. In this instance it happens to agree with elles', but if it didn't, why would that be a problem, as long as I was polite and argued my corner reasonably well?
Reply 38
Erm - you started it...
Reply 39
Yes, of course I did. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending