The Student Room Group

advice for my choice of A-level courses

so I have just got my results for my GCSE's and going into A-levels I don't know what to choose. Maths, Biology are a must and maybe Design Technology. But I don't know what other course I want to study. I'm really interested in doing physics but I know chemistry pairs better with biology. I got an 8 in both subjects so I'm stuck between the two. however, I have also been considering whether to take all 3 sciences. I know it will be difficult to take all three but I feel like I could manage well. I have been reading around forums but I'm still on the fence about what I should do. I enjoy physics- oddly- but I know it will limit what I can do in the future regarding uni degrees with biology. any advice?
What kind of subject do you want to do in uni? If you are unsure you can always do 4 A-levels and drop 1 out at the end of the year. :smile:
Reply 2
I do maths, physics and economics and am looking to do aeronautical engineering at university, for context.

Agree with the maths bit, I enjoy it and don’t find it too challenging. I’ve heard from friends that bio is a lot of work, but you might be surprised to know there’s a decent amount of physics in it too. I don’t know how interested in space physics you are, but there’s a really cool area called astrobiology where you look at distant planets’ spectra to see their chemical make up and whether they could support life! Tbf, chem would be fine for that too I’m sure, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case.

I’d personally suggest going for physics as your third as it pairs really well with maths and not terribly badly with bio. But it’s down to you, if you enjoy it, you’ll prob do well at it. Also, factor in what you want to do at uni and beyond.

Hope I helped, any other questions just ask :smile:
Original post by CallMeJamesss
What kind of subject do you want to do in uni? If you are unsure you can always do 4 A-levels and drop 1 out at the end of the year. :smile:

something on the lines of biomedical engineering or biophysics
Original post by Hassanek
I do maths, physics and economics and am looking to do aeronautical engineering at university, for context.

Agree with the maths bit, I enjoy it and don’t find it too challenging. I’ve heard from friends that bio is a lot of work, but you might be surprised to know there’s a decent amount of physics in it too. I don’t know how interested in space physics you are, but there’s a really cool area called astrobiology where you look at distant planets’ spectra to see their chemical make up and whether they could support life! Tbf, chem would be fine for that too I’m sure, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case.
I’d personally suggest going for physics as your third as it pairs really well with maths and not terribly badly with bio. But it’s down to you, if you enjoy it, you’ll prob do well at it. Also, factor in what you want to do at uni and beyond.

Hope I helped, any other questions just ask :smile:

thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by SpillTheBeans34
something on the lines of biomedical engineering or biophysics

If that's the case then physics as your third choice is a great idea. Since you are planning to take maths, these two subjects will reinforce each other really well. Good luck!
Original post by CallMeJamesss
If that's the case then physics as your third choice is a great idea. Since you are planning to take maths, these two subjects will reinforce each other really well. Good luck!

thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest