The Student Room Group

How do you pronounce AQA (exam board)?

Poll

How do you pronounce AQA?

I ask the important questions. I've always said "ey queue ey" but @The Learn Ranger has changed my entire outlook on life / exam board pronunciation.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
I ask the important questions. I've always said "Ey kew ey" but @The Learn Ranger has changed my entire outlook on life / exam board pronunciation.

I pronounce it 'AQA'
ey-queue-ey
A-Q-A
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
I ask the important questions. I've always said "ey queue ey" but @The Learn Ranger has changed my entire outlook on life / exam board pronunciation.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had a little mind blown moment too. Always said just the letters. Suddenly AQUA :eek3:
Original post by 8472
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had a little mind blown moment too. Always said just the letters. Suddenly AQUA :eek3:

I thought about it too but didn’t ask about it in case it was actually AQUA and I was wrong all along :rofl:
Original post by Notnek

Hell for Children
Reply 7
Never even occured to me to say anything other than "A Q A". In my time teaching, every teacher, exams officer, and the AQA rep who came to see how we were dealing with the science practicals said the same!
the exam board themselves pronounce it ay queue ay from the French listening papers I did
so go with them i guess
(but yes also Hell for Children is an acceptable pronounciation - or just Hell 😉😂😩)
Its certainly not Aqua or ey que ey. In my experience all i ever heard was aaa-ka going to a school in oxford may have had something to do with this.
What does AQA stand for? And not making 'Hell for children',, but like Assessment and Qualifications Alliance
Original post by 111davey1
Its certainly not Aqua or ey que ey. In my experience all i ever heard was aaa-ka going to a school in oxford may have had something to do with this.

Yep, oxford will do it. It is “ay queue ay” tho I’m certain, bc the exam board said it like that as I said
:tsr2: Asking the important questions. :smile:

Given that OCR is called oh-see-are, AQA should be called ey-queue-ey.

Worth saying that the word queue is just the letter q with 4 silent vowels in a polite line behind it.
@Notnek

Fascinating!

I think I say it both ways. If I have been incorrectly saying 'Aqua' for so long it's a bit disturbing that none of my colleagues have ever pulled me up on it (nor anyone from AQA actually). Perhaps they just assume everything I say is right. :colondollar:
Original post by The Learn Ranger
I think I say it both ways. If I have been incorrectly saying 'Aqua' for so long it's a bit disturbing that none of my colleagues have ever pulled me up on it (nor anyone from AQA actually). Perhaps they just assume everything I say is right. :colondollar:

They probably didn't have a clue what you were talking about and were just nodding thoughtfully for politeness.
A-Q-A
A - Q - A
Original post by The Learn Ranger
@Notnek

Fascinating!

No at my college they used to call it aqua too :beard:
I pronounce it ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Test

Quick Reply

Latest