The Student Room Group

Civil rights coursework struggles

For my history coursework I chose the question "to what extent did violence by extremist groups lead to African-American civil rights?"
my teacher gave me some research to compete; finding black groups and white groups that held back or led to civil rights. I can't seem to find any groups or information on black groups holding back civil rights and white groups leading to civil rights. can anyone help please?
Original post by caseyjd13
For my history coursework I chose the question "to what extent did violence by extremist groups lead to African-American civil rights?"
my teacher gave me some research to compete; finding black groups and white groups that held back or led to civil rights. I can't seem to find any groups or information on black groups holding back civil rights and white groups leading to civil rights. can anyone help please?

Civil rights was a gradual process so there are many factors and groups that contribute and hinder. From what I remember... Black groups that helped civil rights: SNCC, SCLC, CORE and NAACP. And white groups that helped: there were white people that joined the second selma march and other white people were mostly individuals, not groups: like Eleanor Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt, arguably Lyndon Johnson and JFK. Black groups that held the movement back were the Black Panthers and Malcolm X with the Nation Of Islam as their extremism divided the civil rights movement between Malcolm and Martin Luther King Jr. Also MLK did hinder the movement when he made comments on the Vietnam War as his popularity plummeted. Obviously you argue these as it could be said extremism scared Presidents into taking action but its up to you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Molly1611
Civil rights was a gradual process so there are many factors and groups that contribute and hinder. From what I remember... Black groups that helped civil rights: SNCC, SCLC, CORE and NAACP. And white groups that helped: there were white people that joined the second selma march and other white people were mostly individuals, not groups: like Eleanor Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt, arguably Lyndon Johnson and JFK. Black groups that held the movement back were the Black Panthers and Malcolm X with the Nation Of Islam as their extremism divided the civil rights movement between Malcolm and Martin Luther King Jr. Also MLK did hinder the movement when he made comments on the Vietnam War as his popularity plummeted. Obviously you argue these as it could be said extremism scared Presidents into taking action but its up to you :smile:

Thank you, this has helped so much!!
I wouldnt perosnally say that the black panthers and malcolm X pushed the movement back as they helped it socially

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending