The Student Room Group

No future and no hope

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but I am really struggling with life at the moment.

To cut a long story short I left school in year 10 to look after my ill mother (didn't take my GCSE's). Two years later I went to college and did a City & Guilds IT (a waste of time, it was two years of how to create pivot tables and leaflets) course, then left to find work. That was in 2016 (I am 21) and since then I have been stuck in the same dead end retail job and it's demotivating.

I am determined to get back into education, however leaving my job isn't financially viable and with my lack of education I am struggling to see how I can get back into it. Part of my course in college required me to take Maths and English GSCE's which I have passed so that isn't a problem, but what does it matter when I can only make sideways moves.

It feels like I am at the end of my line now, everyone around me has gone on or is going on to much better things than I'll ever achieve. I am not very smart or skilled and struggle to find something I'd be interested in doing. Life's a chore right now and I don't know how much longer this can go on for
Look into Access to HE courses, if you want to get a degree. Call up unis who offer this and explain your circumstances, they'll pretty much sympathise and hook you up. You'll do two of the years at a college and the third at Uni and end up with a full degree.

Other than that, you could try find a hustle or start a business. Look into organisations like the princes trust foundation which helps startups so you could try start your own business.

Anyways, Don't give up cause when you do you're the reason people are getting ahead of you. Life's not a 100m race it's a marathon, and It's you who decides the outcome with the choices you make.
Good luck
Original post by Amon-ster
Look into Access to HE courses, if you want to get a degree. Call up unis who offer this and explain your circumstances, they'll pretty much sympathise and hook you up. You'll do two of the years at a college and the third at Uni and end up with a full degree.

Other than that, you could try find a hustle or start a business. Look into organisations like the princes trust foundation which helps startups so you could try start your own business.

Anyways, Don't give up cause when you do you're the reason people are getting ahead of you. Life's not a 100m race it's a marathon, and It's you who decides the outcome with the choices you make.
Good luck

What kind of access course that would enable me to go straight to the third year at university?
Original post by Anonymous
What kind of access course that would enable me to go straight to the third year at university?

Well my friend got only 28 points in UCAS not enough to get on to any course, failed computer science foundation year twice.

He called Dmu and although they didn't give him a normal course they said due to his circumstances (which he talked about family problems) they could give him an Access course in which he does 2 years at Leicester college the third at Dmu and leaves with a full degree.

Alternatively you can call a university like Dmu explain your circumstances and get on to a course with low demand. This is what happened with my friend in the end, he convinced them to let him onto first year law with only 28 UCAS points.
Unis have to fill every space they can or they will be losing out on money.

The course is called Access to higher education diploma.

Good luck mate don't give up.

And in my friends case it was business management and law
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but I am really struggling with life at the moment.

To cut a long story short I left school in year 10 to look after my ill mother (didn't take my GCSE's). Two years later I went to college and did a City & Guilds IT (a waste of time, it was two years of how to create pivot tables and leaflets) course, then left to find work. That was in 2016 (I am 21) and since then I have been stuck in the same dead end retail job and it's demotivating.

I am determined to get back into education, however leaving my job isn't financially viable and with my lack of education I am struggling to see how I can get back into it. Part of my course in college required me to take Maths and English GSCE's which I have passed so that isn't a problem, but what does it matter when I can only make sideways moves.

It feels like I am at the end of my line now, everyone around me has gone on or is going on to much better things than I'll ever achieve. I am not very smart or skilled and struggle to find something I'd be interested in doing. Life's a chore right now and I don't know how much longer this can go on for

Do a access course online there are some that do advanced loans or payment plans, you then start in your first year but you need overall merit or distinction to get a good place, I had to take my second choice because I only had 3 merits with functional skills level 2 numeracy and literacy. Start at the bottom and work your way up, you may get extra UCAS points for the IT course too.
You could do an Access to HE course or a degree online with the open university.
Do not be so hard on yourself. Life is most difficult when you have a problem but have no idea on how to resolve it.It then eats you up as you twist and turn to resolve it.However you have a number of choices actually.You can get onto an access course as mentioned above to gain access to a degree course.However the other choice is to do some type of apprenticeship to first give you some work experience in a different industry.Once you have established this then you can also do a degree via an access course.Think NHS.Also consider apprentice schemes in the armed forces as they do all kinds of roles not just pure soldier roles but in areas such as medical, hr logistics etc. Some roles do not have high educational requirements and will therefore allow you a start in a new area of work.However you can gain new qualifications.Check out Army, Navy and RAF.Some one at work told me that her brother entered the Navy with no qualifications and by the time he left he had a degree.If you get a degree you must have related professional experience to be able to use it or you will take stuck again.Lots of people have degrees these days but experience is more valuable to Employers and it more difficult to get first starting out in work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending