The Student Room Group

Applying to unis from another university, NOT transfer. URGENT

I am currently a student at another university but next year I want to go to another university and do the same course from year entry 1.

I am referring to the 2020 entry.

Do I need to drop out of my current university to apply to another and start again my course? or am I allowed to apply while I am a student at another university?
Original post by emily_000
I am currently a student at another university but next year I want to go to another university and do the same course from year entry 1.

Do I need to drop out of my current university to apply to another and start again my course? or am I allowed to apply while I am a student at another university?

You are allowed to apply while you are a student at another university but be wary of using up too much of your student finance entitlement. You should be ok assuming that you are only in Year 1 of your current degree course, although it seems strange that you are this early into Year 1 and already planning to drop out after spending over £9,000 worth of fees for no real benefit
Original post by harrysbar
You are allowed to apply while you are a student at another university but be wary of using up too much of your student finance entitlement. You should be ok assuming that you are only in Year 1 of your current degree course, although it seems strange that you are this early into Year 1 and already planning to drop out after spending over £9,000 worth of fees for no real benefit

What If I hold an unconditional offer?! Is it possible to hold an unconditional offer while I am already a student at another university?
What If I hold an unconditional offer?! Is it possible to hold an unconditional offer while I am already a student at another university?

Why are you going this year if you don't plan to stay?
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you going this year if you don't plan to stay?

I want to be secure. To have a place while I am applying again. As I am not sure if the universities that I want to they will make me an offer or not.
I want to be secure. To have a place while I am applying again. As I am not sure if the universities that I want to they will make me an offer or not.

So potentially you are throwing away a year's tuition fee and living costs in doing this. Why not transfer to Year 2?
Original post by Muttley79
So potentially you are throwing away a year's tuition fee and living costs in doing this. Why not transfer to Year 2?

I want to repeat year 1
I want to repeat year 1

That seems a bit extreme when you haven't even started yet. Have a gap year ...

Why have you made a second thread about this?
why not?
when did you drop out? when you got your offers? or before that?
I am planning to get my offers and after drop out. Do you know If I can do that? Basically get my unconditional offers or rejections, drop out and after accept one of my offers. Can I do that?

Applying to move from one university to another is a transfer whether you plan to restart or enter into a later year.

The process is exactly the same the only difference is that transferring into year 2 or above requires an extra task for a new university to assess the compatibility of modules
(edited 4 years ago)
why not?

Because in your other thread you’re asking where to send your year 1 marks and are talking about starting year 2 of your current degree and in this thread you are saying that you haven’t even started year 1 yet.

The advice for each situation is different. What stage are you at in your current degree?
Original post by PQ
Because in your other thread you’re asking where to send your year 1 marks and are talking about starting year 2 of your current degree and in this thread you are saying that you haven’t even started year 1 yet.

The advice for each situation is different. What stage are you at in your current degree?

I finished year 1. I want to start AGAIN year 1 at another university. That it's why I am not sure if its a transfer or not. Are they going to notify my current university? ask it questions etc? I don't want them to know as I might get rejected from the uni that I want to apply. I have the entry requirements for the course. So basically I want to 1. apply to the uni that I want to 2. get my offer and then drop out of my current uni or get my rejection and continue on my current uni

Tbh I am not even sure If I'm allowed to do such a thing as is NOT a transfer. I am not transferring, I finished year 1 and I want to repeat year 1 at another university. That is not a transfer
(edited 4 years ago)
At the top of the thread you talk about yet to start a degree, then you talk about being in year 1 and now you talk about having finished year 1, which is it?

I agree with all the posts above about the alarm bells over wasting student finance.
I finished year 1. I want to start AGAIN year 1 at another university. That it's why I am not sure if its a transfer or not. Are they going to notify my current university? ask it questions etc? I don't want them to know as I might get rejected from the uni that I want to apply as my 1st year grades were low even though I have the entry requirements for the course. So basically I want to 1. apply to the uni that I want to 2. get my offer and then drop out of my current uni or get my rejection and continue on my current uni

Tbh I am not even sure If I'm allowed to do such a thing as is NOT a transfer. I am not transferring, I finished year 1 and I want to repeat year 1 at another university. That is not a transfer

You are transferring from one university to another. Just because you want to restart in year 1 doesn’t mean it isn’t a transfer. Both your current university and the one you want to move to will consider it a transfer even if you don’t.

Please, PLEASE read the University Transfer FAQ thread. The first post literally answers everything you have asked about. And it explains (as was explained in your other thread) that it is allowed and not unusual or something you need to be secretive about. It’s common for Transfer students to restart. The only thing that your situation is different is that you MUST suspend your studies immediately and not start on yr 2 of your current course if you want your first year in the new course to be funded.

Your first year grades have to be declared in your ucas application so it’s not going to be a secret.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending