The Student Room Group

GYG: GCSEs 2020 - Work hard, sleep harder

Hi guys, I basically decided to start this after I saw @_Mia101's on this thread. I currently attend a private school, and I'm hoping that this will help me get my life together.

So, A Bit About Me, In Bullet Points:

INTP

Scorpio

Kpop fan

Bookworm (although more like fanfics now)

Crazy

Language lover

My Subjects and Grades

English Lang (Edexcel)

English Lit (Edexcel)

Maths (IGCSE)

Add Maths (IGCSE)

Physics (AQ)

Chemistry (AQA)

Biology (AQA)

Spanish (OCR)

Latin (OCR)

Geography (AQA)

History (IGCSE)

*I'm predicted all 9s, and I have a 9 in IGCSE maths*

Other Goals I Have

I want to make the Hans Woyda team for my school

Get in the top 50 for the Olympiad (Maths)

Get a gold for the Chemistry/Physics/Biology Olympiad (whatever my school does)

Get into Westminster with a QS

Learn Korean and Japanese to B1

Learn to code (haven't decided the language yet)

If your goals are similar to mine, feel free to reply on this thread - I want to get to know people and be motivated, also to track my life here. Also, let me know if you want to be tagged.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Astaera
Hi guys, I basically decided to start this after I saw @_Mia101's on this thread. I currently attend a private school, and I'm hoping that this will help me get my life together.

INTP/INJP

Scorpio

Kpop fan

Crazy

Language lover

My Subjects and Grades

English Lang (Edexcel)

English Lit (Edexcel)

Maths (IGCSE)

Add Maths (IGCSE)

Physics (AQ)

Chemistry (AQA)

Biology (AQA)

Spanish (OCR)

Latin (OCR)

Geography (AQA)

History (IGCSE)

Other Goals I Have

If you're goals are similar to mine, feel free to reply on this thread - I want to get to know people and be motivated, also to track my life here. Also, let me know if you want to be tagged.

i like k pop too!! especially bts i love them. oh and ateez, txt, treasure(when they're out lol)
black-pink and others too. im also crazy and VERY unbearable loll. i know like a lot of Spanish still got some work left to do tho soo yh
Reply 2
Yh same, Gidle and stray kids are some of my favourites currently. Spanish is literally killing me - I struggle badly with literally all aspects of it, so I get what you're saying
Reply 3
'If you're goals...'

Oh, come on! You want that 9 in English? You're going to have to avoid solecisms like that!

Anyway, can I be tagged? I'd also be willing to help with English. I got two very strong 9s with Edexcel.

You aim high! I like ambitious people!
(edited 4 years ago)
I don’t think INJP exists ...
Also I got in the top 50 for the Cayley Olympiad. Might be a different one for you (Maclaurin) but you could ask me for tips
Reply 6
@Tolgarda oops, I missed that - thanks for pointing it out. I'll tag you from now, and I'd appreciate the help. What books did you do?
@jjjjhjhjhhjjhjhj you're right, it isn't I don't really know what I meant there. Congrats!!! Top 50 is amazing!!!! For the olympiad last year, I got 4 questions right, which put me well above the boundary for top 50, but I messed up on explaining my answers. I only got 3/4 marks, so tips there would be good.
Reply 7
Original post by Astaera
@Tolgarda oops, I missed that - thanks for pointing it out. I'll tag you from now, and I'd appreciate the help. What books did you do?

It's alright haha.

My set texts were Romeo and Juliet, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and Edexcel's power and conflict poetry cluster. I scored 154/160 marks, with full marks for AIC and poetry. :smile:

I'd be happy to help with language too. I got full marks for creative and transactional writing and only dropped five marks for critical reading comprehension.
Reply 8
I'm doing completely different books and poems to you. That's insanely impressive, ngl. How did you revise for it??
Reply 9
Original post by Astaera
I'm doing completely different books and poems to you. That's insanely impressive, ngl. How did you revise for it??

If you want any help, PM me and I'm ready to dump loads of info there aha. :smile:
Reply 10

First Week Of Schools

Okayyyy, so first week back was awful, just the difference of the Summer Holidays and School. I've kinda gotten back into the swing of things, but I'm still a bit dazed from going to organising my own day, to blocked lessons. I do remember things from last year tho, so I'm not doing too badly there. Over the summer, I didn't really do any revision (I tried but like, reading and watching MVs took over my life).

IMPORTANT DATES FOR ME
2nd November - Westminster Exam
23rd November
- Westminster Interview
Beginning of January
- MOCKS (I'm going to cry at this stage)

Revision (Or lack thereof)

So I revise for most subjects like this:

1) Make hand written notes
2) Condense on a computer
3) Condense the computer notes onto flashcards
4) Make audio notes of the hand written ones
5) Get learning (I like to scribble down key words on a scrap piece of paper - if I have all the dates and important stuff on there, I know it)
5.5) Watch youtube videos that summarise if I need it
6) Past papers

Personal Update

I'm kinda feeling lonely at school??? I don't really know how to explain it, but I feel like all my close friends have closer friends, and they don't really want to hang out with me. My best friend's ditching me for her girlfriend and, I just feel like I'm ghosting through lunch and games. Hopefully, it'll get better, but I don't really know at this point. My social anxiety's also playing up, so I'm kinda avoiding lunch, but then I miss out on important conversations. I know this sounds very self pitying, but I've accepted it at this point, I just want to share this here.

In more happier news, I've realised that I'm asexual, and somewhere on the gray-scale of aromantic. I also got one of the highest scores in my IGCSE maths, which I've internally screamed about. I honestly thought I failed Paper 2, but it's okay now!!!

Currently Listening To: Heartbeat - BTS, Adios - EVERGLOW
F
anfic Rec: Strawberries & Cigarettes

Next Update: My study plan for the rest of this year (basically for the 16+ and mock
s)

Q#1: Do you use highlighters?

Spoiler

Does anyone know how I change this threads forum???? I want to get it into the GYG one, not the general GCSEs, but I have zero clue on how to do that
(edited 4 years ago)
Yo, just a heads up, you should probably just tag all the people that have appeared on this thread so you can gain momentum. Should they refuse to be tagged, they'll tell you. Trust me, they'll tell you. :colondollar:

Also, don't worry about feeling lonely. It happens to the best of us. Just try and find another circle to hang out with if you can. Most people aren't monsters. They're quite welcoming. You don't require the closest, truest of friends in the world to survive at school. A nice group of people who you're able to have a decent conversation with is more than enough to get through each day without feeling completely isolated. This is my opinion, anyway. It's not the greatest cure, but I think that you're someone who's more focused on academics anyway.

If your friend leaves you for his girl, you should just be happy for him. I mean, honestly, I've had friends 'ditch' me for their girlfriends before, and I can't blame them because it's probably something I would do. I think it's pretty innocuous. :smile:

Best of luck with the Westminster interviews.

Also, you need a moderator to change forums. I have such power, and will transfer this thread to the appropriate forum. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Moved you to this year's GYG forum :smile:
Good luck this year! :rave: And well done with IG Maths! :woo:
I love Heartbeat! :love:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
It's alright haha.

My set texts were Romeo and Juliet, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and Edexcel's power and conflict poetry cluster. I scored 154/160 marks, with full marks for AIC and poetry. :smile:

I'd be happy to help with language too. I got full marks for creative and transactional writing and only dropped five marks for critical reading comprehension.

My goodness, you did exactly the same texts as I'm currently studying. :redface: Congrats on the impressive grades, by the way. :clap2:

Original post by Astaera

First Week Of Schools

Okayyyy, so first week back was awful, just the difference of the Summer Holidays and School. I've kinda gotten back into the swing of things, but I'm still a bit dazed from going to organising my own day, to blocked lessons. I do remember things from last year tho, so I'm not doing too badly there. Over the summer, I didn't really do any revision (I tried but like, reading and watching MVs took over my life).

IMPORTANT DATES FOR ME
23rd November
- Westminster Interview
Beginning of January

5) Get learning (I like to scribble down key words on a scrap piece of paper - if I have all the dates and important stuff on there, I know it)
6) Past papers

Personal Update

I'm kinda feeling lonely at school??? I don't really know how to explain it, but I feel like all my close friends have closer friends, and they don't really want to hang out with me. My best friend's ditching me for her girlfriend and, I just feel like I'm ghosting through lunch and games. Hopefully, it'll get better, but I don't really know at this point. My social anxiety's also playing up, so I'm kinda avoiding lunch, but then I miss out on important conversations. I know this sounds very self pitying, but I've accepted it at this point, I just want to share this here.

In more happier news, I've realised that I'm asexual, and somewhere on the gray-scale of aromantic. I also got one of the highest scores in my IGCSE maths, which I've internally screamed about. I honestly thought I failed Paper 2, but it's okay now!!!

F

Next Update: My study plan for the rest of this year (basically for the 16+ and mock
s)

Spoiler

Does anyone know how I change this threads forum???? I want to get it into the GYG one, not the general GCSEs, but I have zero clue on how to do that

Could I also have a tag please? :bebored:

Do I use highlighters? Sometimes, but I mostly use felt tips if I'm doing something creative. For usual notes I just write them in different colours.

Btw, I'm also kinda mad on languages. :blushing:
Reply 14
Hey, Please could I be tagged.
Well done on GCSE Maths and good luck for Year 11!
I’m also looking to get all 9s but my year 10 mocks were 9,8,8,8,7,7,7,6

Do you have any advice for learning languages because I’m doing French and really love the language but despite using quizlet, etc, can never remember all vocabulary and also applying grammar rules when speaking is hard to do quickly.
Also what’s your afterschool routine like?
Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you so much guys - you're all so nice and sweet!!!!!!! <3 <3 I'll tag everyone from now on, so if you DON'T WANT TO BE TAGGED, LET ME KNOW!

Original post by Tolgarda
If your friend leaves you for his girl, you should just be happy for him. I mean, honestly, I've had friends 'ditch' me for their girlfriends before, and I can't blame them because it's probably something I would do. I think it's pretty innocuous. :smile:

*her girl - I know like logically she's completely within her rights to, and I'm sooooo happy for her (they're an adorable af couple), I'm just getting over the whole, losing my best friend thing rn:smile:

I'm currently working on my presentation for the speaking, and then I have a few essays, some Latin Qs and a powerpoint to make. I also have to finish summarising Physics (about 5 chapters) and its about 6 hours of work total.

I will make a longer post on how I do languages, because I got 7/7.5s year round, but I have a knack for exam technique. It will probably be later today, if I get my homework done in time. I'll make a post about my afterschool routine tomorrow or on Wednesday.

Original post by epicnm
I’m also looking to get all 9s but my year 10 mocks were 9,8,8,8,7,7,7,6

I think that getting all 9s is still possible with those grades. Personally, I got a few 8s in my mocks, but I was close to the boundary, or had been getting 9s year round in those cases. (((apart from English, which I felt my will give up and die inside me))). What subjects are those grades for?

Should I tag everyone in all long posts I make (like this and longer) or in every single reply? Reply with what you want :wink:

Spoiler

For the Olympiad, the best thing that I did was buy a book called “a problem solvers handbook” from the ukmt website. It has all the past Qs categorised by topic and also has tips on proofwriting and general mathematical presentation.
Hope this helps
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Astaera

INTP

Scorpio

Kpop fan

Crazy

Language lover

My Subjects and Grades

English Lang (Edexcel)

English Lit (Edexcel)

Maths (IGCSE)

Add Maths (IGCSE)

Physics (AQ)

Chemistry (AQA)

Biology (AQA)

Spanish (OCR)

Latin (OCR)

Geography (AQA)

History (IGCSE)

Other Goals I Have

If your goals are similar to mine, feel free to reply on this thread - I want to get to know people and be motivated, also to track my life here. Also, let me know if you want to be tagged.

we are literally the same person. :eek4:

Please tag me!! Good luck with Westminster, which subjects are you applying for?
For coding, if you want to make algorithms or you should definitely learn python
Original post by Astaera

Should I tag everyone in all long posts I make (like this and longer) or in every single reply? Reply with what you want

Probably in just the long updates

Original post by Astaera

First Week Of Schools

IMPORTANT DATES FOR ME
23rd November
- Westminster Interview
Beginning of January

6) Past papers

Personal Update

F

s)

Well done on the IGCSE maths :woo:!!
Was it edexcel, cos I also felt that paper went so bad, but it tend out okay :yes:.

A#1: Only for when I'm analysing poetry or when I'm making my titles for flashcards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending