Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anisablue
Hi there and well
done on your classification !
im a third ye student and I’m studying module advancing social psychology at present I’m working on a boardeline 2:1/:2:2 I’m scared of the ema as I know another tutor mark it and from other forums they mention that they always get lower than there tma results. Is this true? Any tips on the ema and I do struggle with this subject with the new terminology it can be difficult to digest then to interpret correctly in a essay. Also I find that tutors are very conflicting when referencing did you find this come up in the ema
thanks

Hi!

So much depends on the tutors marking your essays, which can be frustrating. For example, my tutor for one of my level 3 modules gave me much lower grades than any of my other tutors did, which annoyed me. So it's difficult to say if you should expect your EMA grade to be lower than your TMAs. It really depends who's marking it!

With regards to referencing, if you stick to the OU Harvard guidelines, there should be no conflicting information. Check the guidelines for your specific module if there are any - modules can vary subtly in their style of referencing.

If you know the areas you might struggle with, focus on improving them. So if you struggle with new terminology, make sure you spend time revising them before the EMA.

Hope this helps!

Loren
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi Neral, I'm looking to get a head start before starting to study Psychology at OU, are there any texts/topics etc you would recommend looking into?
Reply 22
Original post by Shane_ism
Hi Neral, I'm looking to get a head start before starting to study Psychology at OU, are there any texts/topics etc you would recommend looking into?

Hey!

Honestly, the level 1 modules provide a really good introduction and you don't need to read much outside of the materials for these. Openlearn offer a taster of some of the psychology modules, so you could have a look at those, or other free online psychology short courses. Alison courses do a good one. I think it's Alison. If you've never studies psychology before, maybe get some A Level type books to give you a bit of a start.

Loren
Hi Nerol, me again.
I tried emailing OU how some closer details on the course but as you can imagine they're taking a mighty long time to reply, so I figured I would try here.

I'm essentially looking to see how studying would work alongside travelling so wondering how often are assignments, timescales/deadlines given etc.
Are there any exams needed to be taken (not online) and how often/when do these happen?

Cheers!
Reply 24
Original post by Shane_ism
Hi Nerol, me again.
I tried emailing OU how some closer details on the course but as you can imagine they're taking a mighty long time to reply, so I figured I would try here.

I'm essentially looking to see how studying would work alongside travelling so wondering how often are assignments, timescales/deadlines given etc.
Are there any exams needed to be taken (not online) and how often/when do these happen?

Cheers!

Hey!

I travelled a lot while studying with the OU. The deadlines for TMAs are given at the start of each module, so you get plenty of notice.

For my BSc Psychology and Counselling, I had one exam for the level 2 psychology module, which was held in a hotel conference room in a nearby city in June. I was in China at the time, so had to fly back for that.

It fits around travel pretty well if you plan well. I've spent time working on assignments in beach bars and things like that!

Hope it helps!
Did you study any units which looked into body language/non-verbal communications?
Reply 26
Original post by Stb1750
Did you study any units which looked into body language/non-verbal communications?

Hi,

It depends what you mean, really. The counselling module briefly covers this with regards to demonstrating listening skills, but that's about it.

Loren
Hi Loren,First off, congratulations!Secondly, I wanted to ask what grades u need to get a first? Do u need to get a high score in every single assessment in years 2 and 3 to get a first? Or is it ok to have an avreage high grade?Thanx
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Hi Loren,First off, congratulations!Secondly, I wanted to ask what grades u need to get a first? Do u need to get a high score in every single assessment in years 2 and 3 to get a first? Or is it ok to have an avreage high grade?Thanx

OU has a different grading format to most universities, most of the information for individual module grading is here: https://help.open.ac.uk/documents/policies/assessment-handbook

and how these are used to calculate degree results here: https://help.open.ac.uk/documents/policies/working-out-your-class-of-honours/files/50/honours-class-working-out.pdf

It's a bit arcane tbh, but generally you don't need to get distinctions (the equivalent of a 1st class result in an individual module at the OU; the grade boundary is 85% normally for this) for every module, but would want to aim for a majority of distinctions, and at least 60 credits of your level 3 (third year equivalent) modules are at distinction.

Latest