The Student Room Group

Do my colleagues think Im rubbish?

Basically at work I was recently promoted (I work in healthcare). The colleague (say colleague A) I took the place of used to be my superior there were 2 of us (as qualified) working. He supported me a lot in the past (and now) but has been quiet recently as he isn't as involved. He was the one who promoted me. Now its mainly just me and the assistants (although he covers 1 day per week). We had a hospital meeting last week (ongoing issues which affected patient care) and the outcome was that to improve my team had to do a bit more work/documentation in the morning. Colleague A was there and afterwards suggested a plan for me and our manager (the main boss) to implement. I started with it this morning and informed the assistants of our new plan, they didn't take well to it as its more work but they accepted it, the main boss was there too. I emailed everyone the plan to confirm what we'd agreed.

Colleague A then phoned me and said he would have done several things differently. I explained that the way I did it saves time and puts less strain on the assistants and that if there was anything extra id add it myself. He said 'see thats typical Rachel smith (name made up) making allowances for other people, doing things 2 - 3 times over and putting more pressure on yourself. Our main boss told me to just do it how I'm doing it but I'm concerned colleague A just doesn't respect me/thinks I'm daft. The assistants say I need to stand up for myself more.

I don't think my main boss thinks much of me she's having to do more jobs now as colleague A left and today she was annoyed and said 'its because we are without 'colleague A' all of this'. As I've taken his place I initially thought she implied that Im crap.

I don't know. Im not great at figuring people out, what do you think?
Hmm, they may just be used to a certain of working with coleague A and will need time to adjust to your methods. When I started my first job that I'm currently in I made mistakes and it felt like people were annoyed at me but fast forward a few months i feel as if I'm a better worker than most, you just have to take each day as it comes and focus on improving yourself and ignore any negative comments you may hear. Good Luck.
Reply 2
Original post by ExoCalibur
Hmm, they may just be used to a certain of working with coleague A and will need time to adjust to your methods. When I started my first job that I'm currently in I made mistakes and it felt like people were annoyed at me but fast forward a few months i feel as if I'm a better worker than most, you just have to take each day as it comes and focus on improving yourself and ignore any negative comments you may hear. Good Luck.

Thanks, I know its just I find I'm always thinking 'what will x think if I do this' rather than using my own judgement. I do what I thinks best at the time I can't do much else yet someone else always comes up with a better more common sense way afterwards
Reply 3
anyone?
Reply 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending