The Student Room Group

How to address people not being nice to you at work?

I just don’t think my colleagues like me. I’m not being paranoid, I just don’t think they do. The majority of them gravitate to each other and not me. For example my boss always talks to my colleague asks about her life, and she does the same to my other colleague.

I try to be friendly to my boss ( not overly) but I ask how she’s feeling after she’s been sick and I always ask everyone on my desk if they want anything from the shops when I go on lunch.

I literally just act like me and people outside of the work place usually are friendly back but the people I actuallf work with just don’t seem to.

Also they all have an extra WFH day than I do, I appreciate I’ve only been there a year ( everyone else has been there longer) but how am I supposed to enjoy going into the office when I just feel awakeward being around people that don’t like me?

If they were my friends I could just be like hey am I doing something wrong’ but I can do that cos it’s my colleagues.

What shld I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I just don’t think my colleagues like me. I’m not being paranoid, I just don’t think they do. The majority of them gravitate to each other and not me. For example my boss always talks to my colleague asks about her life, and she does the same to my other colleague.

I try to be friendly to my boss ( not overly) but I ask how she’s feeling after she’s been sick and I always ask everyone on my desk if they want anything from the shops when I go on lunch.

I literally just act like me and people outside of the work place usually are friendly back but the people I actuallf work with just don’t seem to.

Also they all have an extra WFH day than I do, I appreciate I’ve only been there a year ( everyone else has been there longer) but how am I supposed to enjoy going into the office when I just feel awakeward being around people that don’t like me?

If they were my friends I could just be like hey am I doing something wrong’ but I can do that cos it’s my colleagues.

What shld I do?

If there are any colleagues you trust maybe ask them specifically. I haven't had an office job but at my last job I didn't fit in at all and my manager was super rude to me. I ended up leaving.
If you've been there for a year and it hasn't improved maybe you need to leave (definitely easier said than done) but you should enjoy your job.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
If there are any colleagues you trust maybe ask them specifically. I haven't had an office job but at my last job I didn't fit in at all and my manager was super rude to me. I ended up leaving.
If you've been there for a year and it hasn't improved maybe you need to leave (definitely easier said than done) but you should enjoy your job.

I was thinking about this - there’s a lady there that is friendly towards me and because she’s friendly it’s how I can tell that the others are just so blunt/ rude.

I like my actual job ( the tasks I’m paid to do) but I just sit at my desk constantly feeling anxious, awkward and upset cos my colleagues literally whisper to each other and don’t engage with me.

i agree I may have to venture out and find a similar job that might have different people but it’s a risk cos they could be even worse!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I was thinking about this - there’s a lady there that is friendly towards me and because she’s friendly it’s how I can tell that the others are just so blunt/ rude.

I like my actual job ( the tasks I’m paid to do) but I just sit at my desk constantly feeling anxious, awkward and upset cos my colleagues literally whisper to each other and don’t engage with me.

i agree I may have to venture out and find a similar job that might have different people but it’s a risk cos they could be even worse!

Just asked my mum as she has an office job and is less than a year there. She says everyone there gets on well with each other and she WFH whenever she isn't needed at the office (mostly due to transport costs though).
Definitely consider it or maybe ask your friendly colleague is she can help you out (don't blame anyone try and be neutral).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending