The Student Room Group

Applying to uni during a gap year?

So right now I’m in year 13 doing politics, history and geography and looking to study politics/int relations at Durham (considering history too and considering several other RGs). While I think I’m perfectly capable of achieving AAA (entry requirements), problem is my GCSEs were pretty average (4s/5s/6s) and given the likelihood of achieving predicted grades is based largely on GCSE performance, I’d be unlikely to get an offer from any of my options this year. Since I really want to go to a higher end uni, I’m thinking about taking a gap year after year 13 and applying with my actual A level results in the hopes GCSEs will be far less relevant.

Are there any holes in this plan?
Given GCSEs are mainly used as an indicator of A level performance, if I already met the entry requirements would GCSEs still jeopardise my application?
Would I have to include a PS when applying with actual A level grades?
If I was to get AAA (or even better) would I be able to apply to oxbridge who typically only look at people who got 7s/8s/9s at GCSE?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, I know it’s a pretty loaded question.
Reply 1
Odds of getting an interview at Oxbridge are slim if you don't meet their entry requirements (minimum A*AA iirc), but I imagine if you do manage to reach these grades, they won't necessarily be concerned about GCSEs, since you will have solid A level grades as opposed to predictions. Either way, there would be no harm in applying. Same probably goes for other universities - it's only likely to be a consideration when you are applying with indicator grades.

If you apply after a gap year, you still go through UCAS, so you'd still need a PS. A gap year would give you plenty of time to read books and do extra-curricular activities to flesh this PS out though - and indeed they would probably want to know your reasoning for doing a gap year.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending