The Student Room Group

HMRC - does it matter what address I give?

Hello!

I've found myself in something of an awkward situation.

I am currently in the final stages of a postgraduate degree, and I'm living in a room that my friends are informally subleasing to me without the knowledge of their landlord. This is just something circumstantial until I leave the university and move elsewhere. The landlord lives far away, hasn't visited for years, and is relatively nonchalant about the property, so this itself isn't a problem.

The problem is that I've got a small part-time job at the university for a few months (earning less that £3000), and I need to put an address down for the HMRC 'Starter Checklist' they gave me.

Now, I'm worried that if I put down my friend's address, then their landlord might somehow find out. In particular, imagine that HMRC will share the address I give them with the council. When I finish at the university, the council will then, presumably, send a standard letting asking for me to pay council tax - effectively telling their landlord that they had a subtenant. Am I right in thinking this?

I was hoping that I could avoid all this by simply putting my parent's address down. Is this something that I can do? Would that then raise its own difficulties for their tax claims? Or have I over-thought all this, and does the address I give not actually matter all that much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea how HRMC operate, and I haven't been able to find anything useful on Google. Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I don’t think the HMRC releases the address to other parties - it’s never happened to me and I have changed it multiple times over the years. You do have to keep in mind a couple of points though:
1) the HMRC will contact you under this address- and this includes any potential tax return cheques
2) You are under a legal obligation to inform the HMRC about any chance to your circumstances, i.e. you should give them the address where you actually reside.

Hope this helps.
Original post by DrZee
I don’t think the HMRC releases the address to other parties - it’s never happened to me and I have changed it multiple times over the years. You do have to keep in mind a couple of points though:
1) the HMRC will contact you under this address- and this includes any potential tax return cheques
2) You are under a legal obligation to inform the HMRC about any chance to your circumstances, i.e. you should give them the address where you actually reside.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! That's good to know.

Now I think of it, in the past, when I took an internship in London one summer, I just gave HMRC my parent's address - seems to have been fine.
"When I finish at the university, the council will then, presumably, send a standard letting asking for me to pay council tax - effectively telling their landlord that they had a subtenant."

Do you mean that you'll keep the job even when you finish university?
If so, does that mean that the council will only send you a letter when you finish uni (how do they know when you finish uni?), and they won't send it to you while you're a student (again, how do they know? :smile: )?

Thank you :smile:
they won't pass your details on to anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending