The Student Room Group

Need help choosing laptop

I’ve recently started uni and my laptop (HP Streamer) has stopped working after only a year and I’m looking for a new laptop which will last for 5+ years.

I’m doing Law so I need a laptop with Word, PowerPoint etc on it (preferably Microsoft laptop). I want something small and light, with 13-14 inch screen.

My budget is around £250-600.

I’m considering getting either:
- Microsoft Surface Pro
- Lenovo Ideapad
- Huawei Matebook X Pro
- Chromebook

Let me know your thoughts on these laptops (the pros and cons of each) and any other laptops you would recommend

PS. anything but a Macbook - far too expensive
I recently bought an HP 11-v051na 11.6” Intel Celeron Chromebook (copied straight from the website - I don’t know if it has a shorter name!) to use alongside my other laptop for university, which is far too big for me to take to class or use out and about.

I think I paid £159 when it was on sale (I believe it’s around £200 now), but a lot of people have told me all Chromebooks function the same way, so it’s not worth spending a lot more on one that has metal plating or a more aesthetic look etc.

It’s 11.6 inches, incredibly lightweight, and although I don’t think you can use Microsoft word/PowerPoint etc, you can use Google docs and Google’s equivalent to Excel and PowerPoint, which function in the same way apart from the fact that you can access them from your Google account on any device.

Obviously I can’t vouch for its longevity (I only bought it 2-3 weeks ago), but I find it great to use for notes (whilst I use my main laptop for work). If you’re looking for a single laptop, it might be worth looking at slightly bigger Chromebooks, since I know I personally struggle to write essays and presentations on a small screen. If you’re happy to use docs instead of Microsoft (you can still convert your files into Microsoft format), they’re a great option that’s far more affordable than a MacBook (and you don’t have to pay for Microsoft or Antivirus software, either!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending