The Student Room Group

A level combinations for Architecture degree

So i want to do Architecture at uni but i really don’t want to do an Art A-level because i’m doing it for GCSE and am not enjoying it due to the amount of coursework and my work is good but takes me the longeessttttt time ever :smile: so love that. Anyways i’ve seen that Maths, Physics and Art are usually the best combinations but would it be okay if i did Economics instead of Art? As Maths is my best subject and i’m okay w Physics but not into Art as much. Would i still get accepted by unis for Architecture? Also which unis are more on the maths side as that’s my stronger suit as i am creative and enjoy being creative but maths is easier for me ygm
So, you don't like the amount of work you need to spend on GCSE Art...but you want to do a degree in architecture? Where you will be doing studio work probably for 3-5 days a week?
Original post by artful_lounger
So, you don't like the amount of work you need to spend on GCSE Art...but you want to do a degree in architecture? Where you will be doing studio work probably for 3-5 days a week?

Architectures a lot more planning and has maths and science elements into it, i don’t like the workload of things like paintings and water colour and oil pastels etc in GCSE art because i’m a very slow but detailed painter so it’s hard to keep up. but the most art in architecture will probably be designing and planning/drawing sketches of buildings which i’m completely fine with as that was what i did at the beginning of my coursework so i don’t mind studio work as it’s not solely art it’s a combo
Original post by Zeinxh
Architectures a lot more planning and has maths and science elements into it, i don’t like the workload of things like paintings and water colour and oil pastels etc in GCSE art because i’m a very slow but detailed painter so it’s hard to keep up. but the most art in architecture will probably be designing and planning/drawing sketches of buildings which i’m completely fine with as that was what i did at the beginning of my coursework so i don’t mind studio work as it’s not solely art it’s a combo

Most architecture courses in the UK skew towards the "arty" variety, with a few exceptions (Bath, Strathclyde, maybe Loughborough) that tend more towards the technical side of things. I would recommend you look at the degree shows of some architecture schools around the UK to see the kind of work architecture students are actually outputting. I don't think much of it corresponds to what you are envisioning (especially for the more "arty" courses like UCL and Cambridge); a lot of it is very conceptual and not far off fine art type work (although usually more 3D or drawing based, than painting), if you remove the immediate context of it being ostensibly architecture. You may be better off considering a course in civil engineering or similar, if it doesn't really gel with what you are expecting.

@PQ might be able to offer some advice?
If you opt out of Art A level then you’re choosing to make your application for architecture more difficult. Without a creative A level you’ll almost certainly be required to submit a portfolio. And without a creative A level you’ll have to put together all the work for your portfolio in your spare time outside your studies.

If you don’t like your art gcse have you any options for a design based A level? Graphic design, product design, design and technology etc.
Original post by artful_lounger
Most architecture courses in the UK skew towards the "arty" variety, with a few exceptions (Bath, Strathclyde, maybe Loughborough) that tend more towards the technical side of things. I would recommend you look at the degree shows of some architecture schools around the UK to see the kind of work architecture students are actually outputting. I don't think much of it corresponds to what you are envisioning (especially for the more "arty" courses like UCL and Cambridge); a lot of it is very conceptual and not far off fine art type work (although usually more 3D or drawing based, than painting), if you remove the immediate context of it being ostensibly architecture. You may be better off considering a course in civil engineering or similar, if it doesn't really gel with what you are expecting.

@PQ might be able to offer some advice?

I was actually looking into Bath Uni as Art isn’t required for that course. Thanks i will look at the degree shows around to see if i like it or not but i don’t mind the 3D aspect and drawing/planning/designing aspect of art i just don’t like the painting and oil pastels aspect of it which i don’t think is a part of it.

What’s PQ?
Original post by PQ
If you opt out of Art A level then you’re choosing to make your application for architecture more difficult. Without a creative A level you’ll almost certainly be required to submit a portfolio. And without a creative A level you’ll have to put together all the work for your portfolio in your spare time outside your studies.

If you don’t like your art gcse have you any options for a design based A level? Graphic design, product design, design and technology etc.

Yes that’s true but i’ve also heard many success stories of people who did architecture despite not loving art and they got really far and are now fully qualified and loving their job. I wouldn’t mind something like Graphic Design as it’s more conceptual and maybe computer stuff like photoshop i’m guessing? not too sure tho

A portfolio of work is required even if you did do an Artsy a level. I wouldn’t mind creating a portfolio tbh as i do enjoy creating 3d work and sculptures as well as the planning and envisioning something like that aspect of it. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Have you asked your art teachers about including sculpture and 3d work in your art gcse?
Original post by PQ
Have you asked your art teachers about including sculpture and 3d work in your art gcse?

Yes i have but to get high marks in the GCSE we have to use a variety of different mediums i’ve done a few 3d works already as part of my coursework but i have to do other stuff such as painting lino printing oil pastels etc just to get the higher marks. The gcse is quite limiting like it’s not as free as i thought it would be as to get a good grade we have to do stuff like that aswell as artist research which doesn’t give as much freedom so i’m not liking that much but i did enjoy 3d stuff and making sculptures. If i did a level art i would focus my coursework on that or on buildings and use that for my portfolio
Architecture is about working to a client’s brief. If you don’t enjoy working within constraints then it might not be a good choice for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending