The Student Room Group

Waking up at 4pm...

I’m at university and my sleep schedule is terrible... During he week it seems usually ok because I have lectures at about 11am so I haven to get up earlier, but days where I do not have any lectures and weekends? 4pm. That’s when I get out of bed... That’s almost whole day lost! I only get like 2 hours to go into town to go shopping and stuff before it starts getting dark... I wake up earlier but can never actually bring myself to get out of bed, usually because when I’m all comfy and in bed, knowing I haven’t go to anything important planned for the day means there’s NO motivation to leave my bed. Half asleep me just looks at the 9am alarm like “do I really need to get up? No lectures today... Not gonna
do much anyway... May as well stay in bed for a bit longer” except by “a bit longer” I end up falling asleep again till 4pm, look at the clock and just jump out of bed like “oh s***”. I don’t know how to change this... Maybe if I make a plan before going to bed like “right, tomorrow I’m gonna do these things” to give me at least a bit of morning motivation to get out of bed. But what’s kind of things?? I don’t need to go shopping, I’m trying to save my money. I’m on track with all my work and everything too... I dunno.
Reply 1
Huh, I don't remember posting this
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at university and my sleep schedule is terrible... During he week it seems usually ok because I have lectures at about 11am so I haven to get up earlier, but days where I do not have any lectures and weekends? 4pm. That’s when I get out of bed... That’s almost whole day lost! I only get like 2 hours to go into town to go shopping and stuff before it starts getting dark... I wake up earlier but can never actually bring myself to get out of bed, usually because when I’m all comfy and in bed, knowing I haven’t go to anything important planned for the day means there’s NO motivation to leave my bed. Half asleep me just looks at the 9am alarm like “do I really need to get up? No lectures today... Not gonna
do much anyway... May as well stay in bed for a bit longer” except by “a bit longer” I end up falling asleep again till 4pm, look at the clock and just jump out of bed like “oh s***”. I don’t know how to change this... Maybe if I make a plan before going to bed like “right, tomorrow I’m gonna do these things” to give me at least a bit of morning motivation to get out of bed. But what’s kind of things?? I don’t need to go shopping, I’m trying to save my money. I’m on track with all my work and everything too... I dunno.

If you’re at uni and you appear to have a large amount of spare time I’d suggest using that time to further improve your subject understanding. There’s always more you can learn whether it be through exam questions or recommended further reading...it is a productive use of otherwise wasted time which will benefit you!

Also, when I know I have a day off I always write myself a to-do list for that day the evening before. This encourages me to be proactive rather than waste the time I have. I’d recommend giving this a shot, it may help you fill your time rather than spend it in your bed!
Find a part time job, then you'd have something to get up for.
Original post by Anonymous

Unfortunately, once assignment deadlines start drawing near, not getting up for hours is likely to cause you problems. You need to set a schedule for yourself on days when you have no university commitments, to encourage you to actually get up and do something. Set multiple alarms all over your room so you have to physically get out of bed to turn them off, and once you're out of bed don't get back in. Make plans to meet people, go to the gym, explore the local area etc.
Hey.

Just give yourself things to do, or you'll never get up.
"I'll wake up today and do the reading in advance of my seminar."
Then, you'll make breakfast and everything else in between.
Set yourself short, achievable goals and you'll be on your way to having a good sleep schedule.

Joshua :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending