The Student Room Group

Biochemistry

Hi, I’m just wondering where would be best to study biochem as an undergrad. I got AAA at a level in Biology Chemistry and Maths but I’m not sure what university looks the best for the course.

The actual course at Kings College London looks like it would suit me best but I’ve seen loads of stuff about poor student satisfaction etc and it seems strangely low down in the league table compared to other Russel groups?

Any replies are much appreciated
Original post by Im dan
Hi, I’m just wondering where would be best to study biochem as an undergrad. I got AAA at a level in Biology Chemistry and Maths but I’m not sure what university looks the best for the course.

The actual course at Kings College London looks like it would suit me best but I’ve seen loads of stuff about poor student satisfaction etc and it seems strangely low down in the league table compared to other Russel groups?

Any replies are much appreciated

Hi there,

I would definitely suggest looking at the University of Bath. We aren't a Russell Group uni (essentially just because we don't offer a big enough variety of courses, i.e. medicine) but we are very high ranking. With your grades you would definitely be eligible, and we have one of the highest student satisfaction scores in the UK. You can find out more about our course here. However, what really puts us above other unis is the option to take a placement in your third year - essentially you take a year out of studying to work in the industry or do research. This gives you invaluable skills and experience, you can usually earn a full salary, and it massively boosts your employability.

You might also be interested in our Natural Sciences course if you have a broader interest in the sciences. Essentially you choose a major and a minor subject from biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, physics and environmental sciences (basically a joint honours). This means that you can study 2 sciences (which is good if your interests don't just lie in one) but you still do them to the same depth and quality as single honours students (you just don't do every single module - you choose which modules from the 2 sciences that you want to do). In some cases, you can switch from NatSci to the single honours degree (i.e. if your major is biology, you can switch to a straight biology course during or at the end of your first year) This is great if you don't want to pigeonhole yourself too soon. You can find out more about NatSci here.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending