The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can You Take Additional Modules Outside Your Major?

I've been wondering for a while whether one can take modules like psych or philosophy like one might take a random course in the US. Is it possible if I'm interested in a module outside my major or college, only possible if it's within my college, or not possible at all.
Reply 1
Original post by MkBabbler
I've been wondering for a while whether one can take modules like psych or philosophy like one might take a random course in the US. Is it possible if I'm interested in a module outside my major or college, only possible if it's within my college, or not possible at all.

It likely varies from uni to uni, but at mine you can take a minor only if your major doesn't give you enough credits for the year. This is often the case with humanities and arts, but almost never the case with STEM subjects. For example, as a Physics major, I'm not allowed to take any modules as a minor, but some of my friends studying English can (and have to) choose one minor to get enough credits.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
As you've asked this in the forum for the Open University, I'll assume it's a question about said university.

The OU has two main types of degrees: named degrees, like conventional universities, and Open degrees, where you make your own degree up from pretty much any collection of modules you care for. (Not all OU modules are available to an Open degree, and you do need to plan your lower level modules carefully to make sure you take appropriate prerequisite modules for the late stage modules you want to take.)

If you take a named degree course, you will have a few choices within the path of some modules, but won't be able to take anything unrelated. You'd have to change your degree programme, take the module you wanted, then switch your programme back. If not self-funding, you'd have to be cautious of funding restrictions as well (for second degrees, and such).

There's also the possibility of a dual-honours degree, where certain named degrees are paired with certain other named degrees. An example is that the OU offers Computing & IT and Psychology as a dual-honours course.

Quick Reply

Latest