The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nah, they'd be pretty ******ed if they did.

Although, people I barely know call me "Jen" sometimes, which bugs the Heck out of me if they're not close friends.
It's regularly spelt wrong. But I can't remember it being pronounced wrong.
Reply 3
yeah i get this all the time, i hate having to tell people my name over the phone or whatever.
Reply 4
It's pronounced wrong more often than it's pronounced correctly.

My surname is Fahey.
Reply 5
Always spelt wrong.
Even on trophies and stuff they've engraved it wrong.
What made it worse was I won this one tw oyears in a row, they spelt my surname wrong, then right, then my brother won it, and they spelt his surname the first way>.<.
As a Jonathan, I had a lot of people spelling my name Johnathan when I was younger :s-smilie:
Reply 7
yep, very rarely spell right, and quite often completely change my surname to what they assume i meant it to be!
People always always always put a H in my name, its got to a point, that if im on the phone or something my name has now become "Antony, without a H" grrr.
I don't like it, but I don't really mind it.
Reply 10
Domican.

Your first attempt of reading it is probably the right way...which makes it more frustrating when people can't spell it off the top of their head. Ultra stupid people read it wrong anyway.

It is not Dominican like the Republic for gods sake.
I get a few odd spellings (my surname is Coffey so it often gets spelt like the drink) and my first name can be spelt in different ways too. I also get people pronouncing it Co-fee sometimes. It doesn't bother me too much, it's an innocent enough mistake with some names. When somebody knows you and keeps spelling or pronouncing it incorrectly despite you telling them to proper way is when it becomes annoying and a bit rude!
Reply 12
My name is Charis. Pronounced without the h, to rhyme with Paris, I guess. Like cah-ris
When people say it with an H I want to strangle them :frown:
sometimes people spell 'charlotte' wrong.
Quite regularly when people are reading my name aloud. Names Natalie pronounced Nuhtarhlie. Instead I get called the normal pronounciation of Natalie, which is understandable. But once you correct someone they usually don't get it wrong. And I think Essex people cannot say my last name correctly. Everywhere else they seem to manage it.
Reply 15
nobody can ever say my surname!
Reply 16
People constantly pronounce my 1st name wrong.........how hard is it to say 'Marsha'??

I get Martha, Marcia & Mercia all the bloody time - it irritates me to no end :mad:
It's pronounced wrong more than it's spelled wrong. When it's spelled wrong, it's normally that they've missed out the last "t" but some of the pronounciations that people have come out with are shocking. It's not even particularly difficult to say!
Its hard to pronounce or spell Jessica Evans wrong but it has been done :confused:. People can never spell or pronounce my best friends name on first meeting
When people say my name wrong I want to destroy them.

Actually, I just tell them politely and then they usually comply :^_^:

Latest