The Student Room Group

Glasgow and Durham opinions?

I have an unconditional from Glasgow and a conditional from Durham. Edinburgh is my first choice (if I’m rejected from oxford which I’m expecting to happen) but haven’t got back to me, though if they give an offer it will be unconditional.

I feel like Glasgow may have a better global reputation than Durham (judging by the QS world rankings and it’s more known in Australia where I’m considering moving) however I think Durham may be more prestigious in the UK (excluding Scotland where I’m from) and so if I choose to stay here and live in England it may be better ?

Perhaps it’s shallow to pick based on prestige however I’m studying psychology which is a competitive field, but I’m also considering the fact I’d have no fees at Glasgow yet it would be an extra year of studying, so the extra year of wages and cheaper living costs in Durham would cancel out a little.

I was wondering if anyone has studied at Glasgow or Durham and if so could let me know what it’s like as a place to live as I should also consider this before I drop out (due to laziness) and lose my chance with Durham?

I’m mostly interested in the people and social aspects :smile: thanks
Any unconditional offer you have is based on your application being truthful. If you drop out of a course you said you would complete then a university can cancel the unconditional offer. You can only drop out with the written agreement of the university concerned if you want to keep your offer
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Any unconditional offer you have is based on your application being truthful. If you drop out of a course you said you would complete then a university can cancel the unconditional offer. You can only drop out with the written agreement of the university concerned if you want to keep your offer

Oh for me there is no issue with dropping out, I have contacted universities already and as I already exceed their entry requirements there is no issue (as Scottish unis look for different qualifications than most English ones do for Scottish students).
Reply 3
Given the fees - and chance to do a four year course - Glasgow every time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending