The Student Room Group

Crossed red light

I am new driver and I was driving this morning when on a small road with traffic light some one was doing three point turn right near the traffic light and I gave way the traffic light was green and I was half way through when that car done the manoeuvre they stopped right there (it was on opposite side)cos the light was turned red but I was already in the middle of crossing cos I only stopped to let them complete the turn so now when light was turned red I passed through. Will I get into some kind of trouble I am so stressed.
If there was no camera nothing will happen.

If there was a camera you'll need to wait 2 weeks or so for any potential letter.
It’s unlikely.
Post a street-view link and I'll have a look.
If you were half way through when it turned red you were fine
This is one of many situations where a dash cam would - probably - be useful.

You had to stop to avoid an accident.
Avoiding accidents supercedes all other road rules.

There's no way on Earth you should pay a fine or get points in those circumstances. All you need is the evidence to back up your highly valid defense.

And, as has already been quite rightly mentioned, there's a high chance you won't hear anything about this anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Avoiding accidents supercedes all other road rules.

Uh, no it doesn't.

OP should not have crossed the line if the path was not clear.
Unlikely, but if you do please accept the penalty and learn from your mistake.
Reply 8
Hard to understand the three point turn manoeuvre you describe. However if you have passed the stop line when the light turns red it is ok to continue. Doubt there will be any repercussions of this.
Original post by IWMTom
Uh, no it doesn't.

OP should not have crossed the line if the path was not clear.

Feel free to provide us with an example where making the instant decision to not avoid an accident and to therefore go on to be involved in an accident (or greatly increase the risk in being involved in an accident) is the right thing to do in order to comply with some road rule.

For example being involved in a collision instead of ducking into a bus lane.

Or being involved in a collision instead of swerving onto and driving on a clear, gently kerbed pavement.

Or when proceeding onto a traffic light controlled junction, stopping whilst still inside the junction to avoid hitting a vehicle that looked as if it were proceeding but has instead braked sharply and is now doing a 3 point turn? Or in a similar situation where your view of the exit of the junction was blocked temporarily by a third vehicle - eg a bus that turned left off the junction (possibly with a car following closely behind you preventing you from braking sharply without risking an accident with him)? Or a similar situation where on approach it looked like the vehicle was parked and then suddenly started a 3 point turn after you entered the junction?
The point being made is that as per the letter of the law, you can’t use “well I was avoiding what I perceived to be a potential accident” for ignoring any restrictions you like.

This is irrelevant anyway, the OP was waiting for someone to complete a manoeuvre, they should’ve just anticipated the situation better.

If it was a small road there’s very little chance it was camera monitored.
I used to worry about ish like this now I'm past caring, doubt there was a camera, I'm pretty sure most red lights don't even have cameras, before I started driving I thought they all did you should be able to search online to see all camera locations in your city, I believe the police have to release this info. Secondly I'm pretty sure there needs to be a warning sign displayed warning drivers about cameras if there was none you are probably safe. Tbh I'm wondering if I have NIPs on the way to me but I realise it's all part of the game of driving and not much you can do about it, it's sad there isn't any lead-way on new drivers tbh, we have it the worst.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I used to worry about ish like this now I'm past caring, doubt there was a camera, I'm pretty sure most red lights don't even have cameras, before I started driving I thought they all did you should be able to search online to see all camera locations in your city, I believe the police have to release this info. Secondly I'm pretty sure there needs to be a warning sign displayed warning drivers about cameras if there was none you are probably safe. Tbh I'm wondering if I have NIPs on the way to me but I realise it's all part of the game of driving and not much you can do about it, it's sad there isn't any lead-way on new drivers tbh, we have it the worst.

Much as I hate speed cameras, red lights are a real safety issue. Anyone that sees them as advisory simply shouldn't be driving.

Driving is not a game - cars kill.
Feel free to provide us with an example where making the instant decision to not avoid an accident and to therefore go on to be involved in an accident (or greatly increase the risk in being involved in an accident) is the right thing to do in order to comply with some road rule.

The point, as I understood it, was that you cannot defend an illegal action, that you had to take to avoid an accident, when you got into that situation by a previous illegal act. For example. if you are following a car too closely, and have to dive into a bus lane to avoid a collision when they brake, it's entirely your fault, so you should get a ticket. You are obliged to avoid the accident, but it was your actions that would have caused it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
Much as I hate speed cameras, red lights are a real safety issue. Anyone that sees them as advisory simply shouldn't be driving.

Driving is not a game - cars kill.

I agree when it comes to lights but realistically its going to happen, all we can do is learn from it
Reply 15

For example being involved in a collision instead of ducking into a bus lane.

Or being involved in a collision instead of swerving onto and driving on a clear, gently kerbed pavement.

Or when proceeding onto a traffic light controlled junction, stopping whilst still inside the junction to avoid hitting a vehicle that looked as if it were proceeding but has instead braked sharply and is now doing a 3 point turn? Or in a similar situation where your view of the exit of the junction was blocked temporarily by a third vehicle - eg a bus that turned left off the junction (possibly with a car following closely behind you preventing you from braking sharply without risking an accident with him)? Or a similar situation where on approach it looked like the vehicle was parked and then suddenly started a 3 point turn after you entered the junction?

The issue is a matter of law, not morals.
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I agree when it comes to lights but realistically its going to happen, all we can do is learn from it

Sorry, but obeying red lights is pretty basic stuff. If you're not confident that you are able to, please get more lessons. You said that you were "past caring", which is worrying.
Original post by RogerOxon
The point, as I understood it, was that you cannot defend an illegal action, that you had to take to avoid an accident, when you got into that situation by a previous illegal act. For example. if you are following a car too closely, and have to dive into a bus lane to avoid a collision when they brake, it's entirely your fault, so you should get a ticket. You are obliged to avoid the accident, but it was your actions that would have caused it.

Surely that all depends?

It's quite possible to be driving entirely legally, responsibly and safely and for factors beyond your control to lead you to have to break a road rule to avoid an accident.

For example, black ice. Or the mistakes or terrible driving of other road users. Such as a child running out from between parked vans to chase a football into a road.

We weren't there with the OP, Rahada, at the time of this red light incident. We have no idea if he or she was driving entirely correctly in the lead up to it.

And regardless, even if someone has made a mistake, they should still do whatever it takes to avoid an accident, even if it means them breaking another road rule.

And IWMTom, the law in the UK does recognise people acting under duress. When someone is put in a situation where they have to take action to avoid an accident they are acting under duress.
Reply 18
Surely that all depends?

It's quite possible to be driving entirely legally, responsibly and safely and for factors beyond your control to lead you to have to break a road rule to avoid an accident.

For example, black ice. Or the mistakes or terrible driving of other road users. Such as a child running out from between parked vans to chase a football into a road.

We weren't there with the OP, Rahada, at the time of this red light incident. We have no idea if he or she was driving entirely correctly in the lead up to it.

And regardless, even if someone has made a mistake, they should still do whatever it takes to avoid an accident, even if it means them breaking another road rule.

And IWMTom, the law in the UK does recognise people acting under duress. When someone is put in a situation where they have to take action to avoid an accident they are acting under duress.

There is not a defence for crossing a red light beyond defective signal, even to let an ambulance get past or to avoid an accident.

They should avoid an accident, but that would not excuse going through a red light first.

The OP's description wasn't very clear, and they haven't clarified it.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's not my understanding of duress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending