The Student Room Group

Getting better at IDing people (for alcohol)

Hi, I recently started a new ptj at a supermarket. Ive done online training for selling age restricted products but don't feel confident about it. I know the rule is 'if in doubt, ask' but I haven't seen anyone else on checkouts IDing and I don't want to seem silly or unnecessarily ID.

Also, I don't have much (any) exposure to 20-something year olds (still in school, no siblings or family members around that age) so I don't know what a 20y old looks like vs a 25y old vs a 30y old. Are there any online resources for getting better at recognising the age of people? like maybe videos with faces that. you have to guess.
People have huge variances in looking their age; as a general rule if they look younger than 25 I’d ask them
If they look like they’d still be at your school/sixth form, definitely ID them.

It’s better to overly ID people than not ID someone and they be a minor.
Reply 3
But the problem is, I don't know what "25" even looks like, perhaps I should have phrased it better.
Original post by lol.yolo
But the problem is, I don't know what "25" even looks like, perhaps I should have phrased it better.

They look young? I don’t really know how you can not tell what an old person looks like from a younger person. If they look like they should be in school ID them
You're always within your right to ask someone to prove their age to purchase an age-restricted item - bear in mind it'll be you that faces the unlimited fine(!) that your online training will (no doubt) have mentioned.

After you do it for a few weeks you get better at judging people's age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending