The Student Room Group

MacBook battery

I got my MacBook for £200 on wowcher
It’s from 8 years ago lol
Everything else is fine accept the battery life is 30 minutes. I don’t wanna get another laptop
Where can I get this problem fixed without paying so much money?

Scroll to see replies

Don’t take it to the Apple Store, that’s for sure. I took mine a few weeks ago and they tried to make me pay £700 for repairs?????? I was like, **** off.

But most local repair shops should be able to do it
Original post by OR321
Don’t take it to the Apple Store, that’s for sure. I took mine a few weeks ago and they tried to make me pay £700 for repairs?????? I was like, **** off.

But most local repair shops should be able to do it

But yours is completely broken right? My battery life is just garbage.

But I’m scared to go any local phone shop cause they might rip me off
Original post by IH8Studying
But yours is completely broken right? My battery life is just garbage.

But I’m scared to go any local phone shop cause they might rip me off

Trueee mine just lost power

And most of the time, they tell you the price before they repair. Just let them know you wanna know the costs Before they do it
Original post by OR321
Trueee mine just lost power

And most of the time, they tell you the price before they repair. Just let them know you wanna know the costs Before they do it

Oh so what did you do then? £700 for repairs you know, acting as if money grows on trees lol
Might as well just buy another laptop

Yeah okay I’ll do that. Anything more than £100 and I will burn the shop down. Thanks
Oh so what did you do then? £700 for repairs you know, acting as if money grows on trees lol
Might as well just buy another laptop

Yeah okay I’ll do that. Anything more than £100 and I will burn the shop down. Thanks

Yeah I didn’t pay the £700 😂😂. I ended up buying a new Microsoft laptop instead coz MacBooks in general have pretty **** battery life
Original post by OR321
Yeah I didn’t pay the £700 😂😂. I ended up buying a new Microsoft laptop instead coz MacBooks in general have pretty **** battery life

Good. Keep your riches! Dunno why anyone would spend so much money on them then. But it’s pretty good for a £200 macbook from 2011.
I got my MacBook for £200 on wowcher
It’s from 8 years ago lol
Everything else is fine accept the battery life is 30 minutes. I don’t wanna get another laptop
Where can I get this problem fixed without paying so much money?

If you're even moderately capable taking things apart, you can buy a compatible battery from various sources and replace it yourself. It involves taking the back off your laptop (lots of little screws, for which you'll need the right screwdriver) but it's not a difficult job.
Good. Keep your riches! Dunno why anyone would spend so much money on them then. But it’s pretty good for a £200 macbook from 2011.

Yuppp 👍👍👍
Original post by Reality Check
If you're even moderately capable taking things apart, you can buy a compatible battery from various sources and replace it yourself. It involves taking the back off your laptop (lots of little screws, for which you'll need the right screwdriver) but it's not a difficult job.

I guess the better option is just to take it to my local phone shop. I mean what did I expect from a MacBook this cheap. Thanks though. I hope it isn’t more expensive than my actual laptop lol
I guess the better option is just to take it to my local phone shop. I mean what did I expect from a MacBook this cheap. Thanks though. I hope it isn’t more expensive than my actual laptop lol

Yep, probably best to take it to there (or an Apple store) if you're not confident in doing the job yourself. It won't be cheap, but it's not ridiculously expensive either. I think if you have it done by Apple, a 12" MacBook is a flat £199 for a replacement battery, but you can certainly get it done cheaper elsewhere.
Use Google to find Youtube videos on how to replace the battery on your particular model of Macbook.

These videos will show you how amazingly easy it is to replace the batteries in these.

For example on this 15" 2011 Macbook pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZSD_8ippnk

All you need is to undo and redo 13 small cross headed screws and disconnect and reconnect one tab.
And then fully charge the new battery, temporarily adjust the energy saver settings, discharge the battery, charge it up again and put the energy saving settings back as they were before.

It's an easy peasy job that'll take 15 minutes of your time.

You don't need Apple MacBook master guru qualifications to do this.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Use Google to find Youtube videos on how to replace the battery on your particular model of Macbook.

These videos will show you how amazingly easy it is to replace the batteries in these.

For example on this 15" 2011 Macbook pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZSD_8ippnk

All you need is to undo and redo 13 small cross headed screws and disconnect and reconnect one tab.
And then fully charge the new battery, temporarily adjust the energy saver settings, discharge the battery, charge it up again and put the energy saving settings back as they were before.

It's an easy peasy job that'll take 15 minutes of your time.

You don't need Apple MacBook master guru qualifications to do this.

Where do I buy the battery and the tools? What’s the point If someone else can just do it
Reply 13
Where do I buy the battery and the tools? What’s the point If someone else can just do it

Because they aren't going to do it for free
Original post by Shimo
Because they aren't going to do it for free

I would still have to pay for the battery and the tools needed to do it myself
Reply 15
I would still have to pay for the battery and the tools needed to do it myself

All you need is a screwdriver, there's no point in paying £50 + the cost of the battery for someone else to do it
Original post by Shimo
All you need is a screwdriver, there's no point in paying £50 + the cost of the battery for someone else to do it

I don’t wanna mess it up! It’s £38 on Amazon... I’ll see.
Reply 17

It's quite simple, just be gentle and make sure to put the screws back in the right hole. Fixing things is fun and you'll probably feel good after you do it
Original post by Shimo
It's quite simple, just be gentle and make sure to put the screws back in the right hole. Fixing things is fun and you'll probably feel good after you do it

Haha okay. I’m excited now. I will do it. Maybe I’ll become an engineer then :tongue: or whatever they’re called

Sounds about the right price. Make doubly sure you have the right one for your exact model, or can return it free of charge if it's the wrong one. For example by taking the back off your laptop and checking what it looks like plus the part number on the old one.

I'd be happy to do the screwdriver work bit for the cost of a pint and a lunch at Wetherspoons for me and my girlfriend - if we could meet up on a Saturday lunchtime. Or to talk you through and teach you how to do it.

But honestly, doing it yourself is so easy and the labour will be for free and you'll do it as well as some teenager at an Apple store. Borrow a screwdriver. Or get one from your local hardware store or ebay.
Anti static wrist straps are 99 pence off ebay.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending