The Student Room Group

University sick note

I've just been to see my doctor regarding a sick note however he said he thinks I'm claiming falsely for extension, I have been to him before and he gave me a letter and medication as I was expirenceing anxiety for the first time and was really scared . The medication however did not go well for me as because of my asthma so I stopped it and told him I'm dealing with it myself, for the past 6 month I ve had ups and down, not being able to sleep, getting sick more often making very hard to go uni and keep up with my studies, as assigmnenta are due I need a letter to extend my deadline but he told me he doesnt belive me as I've not been coming in but I preferred to deal with it myself, however he gave me a letter saying that I've been told by the by the patient he's been getting sick a lot and getting symptoms is that enough for my extension
Original post by Gfigh
I've just been to see my doctor regarding a sick note however he said he thinks I'm claiming falsely for extension, I have been to him before and he gave me a letter and medication as I was expirenceing anxiety for the first time and was really scared . The medication however did not go well for me as because of my asthma so I stopped it and told him I'm dealing with it myself, for the past 6 month I ve had ups and down, not being able to sleep, getting sick more often making very hard to go uni and keep up with my studies, as assigmnenta are due I need a letter to extend my deadline but he told me he doesnt belive me as I've not been coming in but I preferred to deal with it myself, however he gave me a letter saying that I've been told by the by the patient he's been getting sick a lot and getting symptoms is that enough for my extension

I wouldnt be surprised if they say no.
From the doctors point of view you have ignored their advice and only returned when you wanted an extension. he has no knowledge and cannot verify your condition during those six months. he is entitled to say what he has. Its your own behaviour which has created the situation. You cant get a doctor to confirm your condition if they havent seen you. Did you seek help from anywhere else such as uni counselling services?
The reason the GP is useful is because they are independent professional. You are asking him to confirm something he hasnt seen.,
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt be surprised if they say no.
From the doctors point of view you have ignored their advice and only returned when you wanted an extension. he has no knowledge and cannot verify your condition during those six months. he is entitled to say what he has. Its your own behaviour which has created the situation. You cant get a doctor to confirm your condition if they havent seen you. Did you seek help from anywhere else such as uni counselling services?
The reason the GP is useful is because they are independent professional. You are asking him to confirm something he hasnt seen.,

No I'm not the type to talk much about it, looks like you have to be make it he heard evreywhere to seem as if your not lying, I did go doctors but all they recommend is drugs which I didn't want to take, also he never told me to re book appointment and do say try to be positive, ive been trying the last six month

And no haven't made an appointment with my uni yet
Original post by Gfigh
No I'm not the type to talk much about it, looks like you have to be make it he heard evreywhere to seem as if your not lying, I did go doctors but all they recommend is drugs which I didn't want to take, also he never told me to re book appointment and do say try to be positive, ive been trying the last six month

And no haven't made an appointment with my uni yet

If you can provide evidence that what you are saying is true, then they are more likely to believe you.
If I were viewing your request I would say theres no evidence. You can adopt a non medication approach just by seeing a counsellor on a regular basis.

You shoudl ask asap if its just coursework then you might have a good relationship with your lecturer.
Just make the best case you can and sooner is better than later.
You could also try a new doctor. Its hard for them to say anything other than your records show you were seen for anxiety, prescribed medication> I am not sure what you think you expect a doctor to say for you?

We diagnosed the patient with anxiety for which we gave medication but the patient decided to self treat and we havent seen him since. The patient claims still to have the symptoms of anxiety, but as we havent seen them then we are unable to verify their condition other than what the patient has told us and they want a sick note?

Try your uni wellbeing service. They could write a letter.
You can also contact disabled student helpline.
Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest