The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of Uni in London

I love London and would love to go to uni there but i know it's so expensive.. any advice??
And anyone at uni in London, what are the pros and cons??
Original post by Stargirl2.0
I love London and would love to go to uni there but i know it's so expensive.. any advice??
And anyone at uni in London, what are the pros and cons??

cons - being in London. it's a truly ghastly, expensive crime-infested s***hole. just only do uni in London for postgrad if you really have to.
Reply 2
The expensiveness of London manifests itself in three ways:
1 - expensive accommodation
2 - expensive (ish) travel
3 - £5 for a pint if you're remotely near the centre.

However you do get a larger maintenance loan - £5800 thereabouts (outside of London it's £4600. So that's quite a hefty difference). I had about £700 left over at the end of term (starting from just under £2000) and I wasn't overly frugal.

1) can be mitigated by being careful with your choice of accommodation. Imperial, for instance, has halls right by the university in South Kensington for around £250 a week. They also have halls further away for between £107-157 a week.

2) Having lived in London all my life I don't know how expensive public transport is elsewhere. I paid £94 a month for unlimited tube travel between zones 1 and 2 which was completely adequate.

Here's something not related to finances that is a con: you don't get a proper campus. They can be very cramped, you may be isolated from other parts of the university, there's probably not much green space. But maybe you prefer not being isolated from the rest of the city.
Reply 3
Original post by A Rolling Stone
cons - being in London. it's a truly ghastly, expensive crime-infested s***hole. just only do uni in London for postgrad if you really have to.

Can confirm, am literally dead 8 times a week
cons ... if youre scared of the 7/11 attacks happening again
I hate London. I've always hated it. Even with money it's horrible. Go elsewhere if you possibly can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending