The Student Room Group

Which car should i get as a first time driver(just passed my test in an automatic)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Audrey18
@AH-64 APACHE @TheYearNiner @999QR @Blackstarr

you need to watch this before any decision is made :wink:

Chris Harris is the most hated motoring journalist probably ever. And for good reason, he's full of crap.
Original post by AH-64 APACHE
Chris Harris is the most hated motoring journalist probably ever. And for good reason, he's full of crap.

Although I do have an Up!, it is good, so he's right there.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
All irrelevant. You are a new driver. Insurance is going to be horrendous. Bluetooth. Why . Just get something you can afford. A citroen c1

yeah, also, you can buy a bluetooth radio device for like a tenner on amazon and you just tune your radio to it, wayy more afforable
Hi,

I'd have a look for something with a 1.2 or lower engine since you're new to driving and they are typically cheaper to insure from what I've seen have a look at a car more like this maybe, if there's a way for you to PM me please send me the county that you're in and i can look for ones near to you, I'd say if you on here you're likely to be going to uni so petrol will be a good thing to go for with a lot of places not having an affinity for diesel.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912105215053?radius=1500&transmission=Automatic&sort=mileage&fuel-type=Petrol&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-from=1000&annual-tax-cars=TO_30&postcode=s11da&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.2&price-to=3000&year-from=2010&page=2
Original post by User.na.me
Hi,

I'd have a look for something with a 1.2 or lower engine since you're new to driving and they are typically cheaper to insure from what I've seen have a look at a car more like this maybe, if there's a way for you to PM me please send me the county that you're in and i can look for ones near to you, I'd say if you on here you're likely to be going to uni so petrol will be a good thing to go for with a lot of places not having an affinity for diesel.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912105215053?radius=1500&transmission=Automatic&sort=mileage&fuel-type=Petrol&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-from=1000&annual-tax-cars=TO_30&postcode=s11da&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.2&price-to=3000&year-from=2010&page=2

Thank you for this! will take a good look
Original post by nutz99
It does have air con aka climate control. It also lists bluetooth.

I think you need someone who knows about cars to take you out to test drive them and check them over.

Just to be pedantic - air con and climate control are two different things. You can have a car with air con but no climate control, and you can have climate control without air con (probably not now, but VW offered Thermotronic

on some of their cars in the late 90's on vehicles specced below those with Climatronic, and above those with just basic heater controls

I believe Mercedes also offered a similar non-ac climate control in a similar time period.

Air conditioning requires having an air con pump on the engine and it cools/dries air as it's blown into the cabin.

Climate control uses an array of sensors to keep the interior temperature of the cabin at a set temperature. If that climate control system isn't fitted with AC then it'll just continue to blow outside-temp air until either you turn the temperature up, or the outside air cools enough to meet the set temperature requirement inside the car. Obviously AC is often used in conjunction with climate control because climate control is associated with higher spec vehicles, as is AC. It also allows the climate control to work more effectively because it can cool to the set temperature as well as it can heat.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of people have no idea how to use climate control properly. You set the temperature where you like it (for me in my car it's about 21°C in the winter, 19°C in the summer) and you leave it there. Cue my girlfriend getting in my car in the winter and cranking it to like 28°C and then fiddling with it constantly once she gets too hot. The whole point is that you can just set it and forget it.
VW polo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending